This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please assist with my /etc/fstab ...

I hope I am putting this in the right category ...

Would one of you 'nix gurus please look this info over, and advise me on the 'proper' contents of the fstab?

By the way - I have installed :
    • FUSE
    • libntfs9
    • libntfs-3g0
    • libntfs-gnomevfs
    • ntfs-3g
    • ntfs-config
    • ntfsdoc
    • ntfsprogs

to allow me to read/write to NTFS partitions.
    I also just now disabled and unmounted all the filesystems I can, and turned off ntfs-3g, to allow easier understanding of the fstab.
    If anyone needs further / different information, I will be delighted to supply it.

Anyway, here is the contents of my /etc/fstab :
    ================================================== ==
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # -- This file has been automaticly generated by ntfs-config --
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    # Entry for /dev/sdc1 :
    UUID=f0d1badb-3b9a-43d7-8f5d-27a9934dd8f2 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
    LABEL=120_GIG /home/cacheram/Desktop/Storage/120_GIG ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 1
    LABEL=120_GIG ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,uid=1000,gid=46,noauto ,ro,users nouser,0,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 1 0
    LABEL=ARCHIVES /home/cacheram/Desktop/Storage/Archives ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 1
    # Entry for /dev/sdd3 :
    LABEL=FAT_32 vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,uid=1000,gid=46,noauto,ro, users 0 1
    LABEL=WIN_XP /home/cacheram/Desktop/Storage/Win_XP ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 1
    # Entry for /dev/sdd2 :
    UUID=bc5defa4-c012-4b28-a34d-787113574c20 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/scd1 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
    LABEL=80_GIG /home/cacheram/Desktop/Storage/80_GIG ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0

I also see a file called fstab.pre-ntfs-config:
    #
    # /dev/sdc1
    UUID=f0d1badb-3b9a-43d7-8f5d-27a9934dd8f2 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
    # /dev/sda1
    LABEL=120_GIG /home/cacheram/Desktop/Storage/120_GIG ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,uid=1000,gid=46,auto,r w,users 0 1
    # /dev/sdb1
    LABEL=120_GIG ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,uid=1000,gid=46,noauto ,ro,users 0 1
    # /dev/sdd1
    LABEL=ARCHIVES /home/cacheram/Desktop/Storage/Archives ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,uid=1000,gid=46,auto,r w,users 0 1
    # /dev/sdd3
    UUID=39A9-3350 /home/cacheram/Desktop/Storage/FAT_32 vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,uid=1000,gid=46,auto,rw,us ers 0 1
    # /dev/sdc2
    LABEL=WIN_XP /home/cacheram/Desktop/Storage/Win_XP ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,uid=1000,gid=46,auto,r w,users 0 1
    # /dev/sdd2
    /dev/scd1 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
    LABEL=80_GIG /home/cacheram/Desktop/Storage/80_GIG ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,uid=1000,gid=46,auto,r w,users 0 0

And another one called fstab.pre-uuid:
    #
    # /dev/sdc1
    UUID=f0d1badb-3b9a-43d7-8f5d-27a9934dd8f2 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # /dev/sda1
    UUID=1C84FBE384FBBCF8 /media/120_GIG ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
    # /dev/sdb1
    UUID=CCB4F279B4F264FC /media/80_gig ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
    # /dev/sdd1
    UUID=000000008D66D052 /media/Archives ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
    # /dev/sdd3
    UUID=39A9-3350 /media/FAT_32 vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
    # /dev/sdc2
    UUID=1386A89F3B08E6C1 /media/Win_XP ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
    # /dev/sdd2
    /dev/scd1 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
    # UNCONFIGURED FSTAB FOR BASE SYSTEM

What would happen if I backed up fstab, and did:
    • cd /etc
    • sudo mv fstab fstab.bkp
    • sudo cp fstab.pre-uuid fstab

This should be using the fstab.pre-uuid as my fstab - and it looks to me to be a lot 'cleaner' than the other ones.
    Would this make my system go 'boom' in some way, or help it out, or nothing at all?

Please advise, let me know if you see anything wrong / extra / missing with my system.
    Thanks in advance,
    --CacheRAM

Re: Please assist with my /etc/fstab ...

Good god that is hard to read. I'm glad Kate has fstab highlighting.
    Anyway, one highlight and tab-delimited fstab later...

Line five goes in its entirety. There is no mount point, it's a duplicate, and all kinds of other junk.
    Line seven has no mount point either. You'll need to decide what to do with it. In addition, you might want to review the options, set them to just "defaults", or copy options over from one of the NTFS drives.

Everything else looks okay, as long as those ones designated by label work fine. (I'd prefer UUIDs, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.)
    Oh! Wait! You have several drives set to be fscked on the first pass. If you want them to be fscked at all, set them to the second pass. Boot drive comes first, everything else second.
    For external use only.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Still got a couple of no0bish questions :

Originally posted by SheeEttin
      Good god that is hard to read. I'm glad Kate has fstab highlighting.
      I didn't know that - I was using gedit . Kate makes it lots easier to read, with colored text to indicate a new field
      Line five goes in its entirety. There is no mount point, it's a duplicate, and all kinds of other junk.
      line 5? do you mean this one?
      Code:
      LABEL=120_GIG ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,uid=1000,gid=46,noauto,ro,users nouser,0,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 1 0
      Line seven has no mount point either. You'll need to decide what to do with it.
      This one?
      Code:
      LABEL=FAT_32 vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,uid=1000,gid=46,noauto,ro,users 0 1
      In addition, you might want to review the options, set them to just "defaults", or copy options over from one of the NTFS drives.
      I don't understand what you mean by that ...
      Everything else looks okay, as long as those ones designated by label work fine. (I'd prefer UUIDs, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.)
      I would rather use a consistent method myself -- How do I find out what the UUIDs are supposed to be for each drive / partition?
      Oh! Wait! You have several drives set to be fscked on the first pass. If you want them to be fscked at all, set them to the second pass. Boot drive comes first, everything else second.
      This I also do not understand - especially the bolded command. I am assuming it is not a typo, since the letter s is nowhere near the letter u on my keyboard, and you used it twice ...
      Logging for the night, need sleep for work tomorrow.
      Thanks again

Comment

Lets start with the easy bit:
        I would rather use a consistent method myself -- How do I find out what the UUIDs are supposed to be for each drive / partition?
        Copy and paste this:
        Code:
        ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/
        into a terminal. Then copy and paste the output into an editor (kate9 and print it for better reading.

This I also do not understand - especially the bolded command. I am assuming it is not a typo, since the letter s is nowhere near the letter u on my keyboard, and you used it twice ...
        Put simply fsck is a script that controls the consistancy of your HD/partition at boot.
        At the end of your drive "lines" you will see some numbers like 0 1 this tells fsck to run at "first" pass during boot. So, what Ettin is saying is that you have several drives being checked at first pass. You should only have your boot ( / ) drive checked at first pass so change the 1 on the other disks to 2 (for second pass) or 0 for not at all (which can be tricky if you fool around with your drives a lot)

line 5? do you mean this one?

Code:
        LABEL=120_GIG ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,uid=1000,gid=46,noauto,ro,users nouser,0,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 1 0
        Line seven has no mount point either. You'll need to decide what to do with it.
        This one?

Code:
        LABEL=FAT_32 vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,uid=1000,gid=46,noauto,ro,users 0 1
        Yes, your lines 5 & 7 have no mount point and very much "junk".

Either way I am a bit confused. How can you have ntfs or fat files in /home? /home is usually formated in ext3 (or reiserfs).

I am assuming that these are separate partitions??
        If that is the case they should be treated as such.

As for the default settings Ettin is right here as well.

My advice would be one of the follwing:
        the "non geek" path:
        go to K-> system steup (or similar since mine is in german)->advanced-> disks & drives->administrator mode, give your password then right click on a partition you want to mount click on "edit" then give them a mount point link /media/data1/. Ditto for the rest of your data and archives. Make them mountable (activated) at boot and activate them.

If you don't get any error messages just click on yes for every change. This will generate a new fstab entry for every partition.

You may still have you "old" stuff in the fstab so you will have to edit fstab appropriately and you will have a clean workable fstab.

Then read this (especially toward the bottom) to make any read/write changes that you need:
        http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountwindows

The second more geeky path would be to follow the above link form the beginning

To give you an idea what a fstab should look like:

#
        # /dev/sda11
        UUID=4fac41e8-5bcc-4474-947a-7f6c7d9014bf / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
        # /dev/sda5
        UUID=CCA0-D201 /Data vfat umask=000,uid=0,gid=0,auto,rw,nouser 0 0
        # /dev/sdb5
        #UUID=4675-5EA7 /Data2 vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 2
        # /dev/sda6
        UUID=309F-309F /Vmware vfat umask=000,uid=0,gid=0,auto,rw,nouser 0 0
        # /dev/sda7
        UUID=41b4e918-04c8-4670-86b4-95c755bd6bdd /home ext3 nouser,defaults,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
        # /dev/sda1
        #UUID=80C2F69090FA0800 /media/sda1 ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,n ouser 0 1
        # /dev/sda10
        UUID=e4ad0ec7-05e6-4c82-bb2f-d907beb2be2f /media/sda10 ext3 nouser,defaults,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
        #/dev/sda8 /media/sda8 ext3 defaults 0 2
        UUID=781abb05-f054-4b52-a3d8-e2fb8571e3b4 /media/sda8 ext3 nouser,defaults,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
        # /dev/sda9
        UUID=b823d8b7-c080-4b95-8fcc-62e3ca91d8d7 none swap sw 0 0

#/dev/hda12
        UUID=267618d9-bf0c-434f-ac5f-2497180d5b91 /Mint ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0

Note: I have quoted out my ntfs partition because I don't need it.

I hope this helps you a bit further and good luck

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
          I am assuming that these are separate partitions?
          If that is the case they should be treated as such.
          Actually, you can mount partitions wherever you like. (For example, mounting a "personal" data partiton to a folder inside the "owning" user's /home could make sense ...)

At present, however, default behaviour (in particular on desktop systems) would be to mount such partitions to subfolders of /media - not least because "auto-mounted" file systems (e.g. from USB sticks and/or CDs/DVDs) will end up there anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
            In addition, you might want to review the options, set them to just "defaults" [...]
            Let me try to word it differently to (hopefully) put the idea across: adding as much options as possible (as well as "at random") to how a partition is being mounted, seldom is a wise move, to say the least ...

Therefore, more often than not, such

Code:
            nouser,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid
            could and should be replaced by (the)

Code:
            defaults
            - unless, that is, you really know what distinguished the one from the other ...

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. Rider is of course right (as usual ):

Actually, you can mount partitions wherever you like. (For example, mounting a "personal" data partiton to a folder inside the "owning" user's /home could make sense ...)
              In essence "mount points" are just links to existing devices (/dev/hda1, etc)

So you could set a mount point for /dev/hda1 (sda1) to /home/user/data1
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
              X