This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soundproblem Toshiba sat pro - Intel chipset

I am new to linux. Installed Kubuntu yesterday, but I have no sound in my speakers, but very low volume on my headphones. I have a toshiba satellite pro u200-153. In windows I think it used a Realtek alc850 driver (?). According to the specs it's an Intel® 945GM Express-chipset. How can I fix this?

I've tried downloading the latest stable alsa drivers, lib and util (and installed)..

Did a 'lshw', and it said:
    description: Audio device
    product: 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller
    vendor: Intel Corporation

Re: Soundproblem Toshiba sat pro - Intel chipset

Tried turning up all the volumes? (Click the little speaker icon in your system tray, then click "mixer".)
    For external use only.

Comment

Reboot. At the grub menu, hit the escape key. Then type noacpi and enter. If that does not work (for you), reboot, hit escape at the grub menu and type acpi=off and enter.

Report back the results.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        Reboot. At the grub menu, hit the escape key. Then type noacpi and enter. If that does not work (for you), reboot, hit escape at the grub menu and type acpi=off and enter.

Report back the results.
        Thanks for the tip. Where exactly do I put this in. When I press escape I have 4-5 kernels to choose from, I tried pressing "e" to edit the top one, then "o" to add a line, then "e" to edit the new line. Added 'noacpi' and also tried 'acpi=off¨ - then pressed "b" for boot. The only thing that happend is that my screen went dark, and cpu fans rpm went up to max.

Comment

Heh, he forgot a bit. You don't want to add a line, you want to hit E after selecting the "kernel" line, then append "acpi=off".
          For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
            Heh, he forgot a bit.
            Thanks SheeEttin! That's what I get for answering posts at work (away from my system at home). :P
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I added 'acpi=off' to the kernel line ... after '.... splash' , and booted, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. Still no sound in speakers and really low volume on headphones. Volume in kmix is set to max.

Comment

Working...
              X