This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sound on HP Pavilion...

Wellz, Im kinda new to kubuntu, and for some reason the sound just stopped working...It worked on the first time i booted kubuntu, but then after it just stopped working. Then I reinstalled kubuntu, and the same thing happenned all over again. I really need help pleeze!

...Oh, and if you need to know, I'm using an HP Pavilion dv9030 (yes, the pre-built one) so yah...

Re: No sound on HP Pavilion...

type lspci -v and you should see the default sound card built in. If you do not you will have to compile ALSA from scratch, assuming your card is supported. If your card is on the list you will have to play with the sound mixer. Is there a red line over the speaker icon on the bottom?

Comment

Okay, I've a Pavillion of my own and have no problems, but we might have different sound cards.

Before doing drastic things like reinstalling or compiling ALSA, have you tried all of the basics?

Open systemsettings and ensure the sound system is enabled.

If it is already, try disabling it (this might break KDE audio programs but might allow some non-KDE applications to work, it'll at least give you some better idea where the problem is - at the KDE level or lower, like ALSA).

Comment

I have a Palvilion a736n, I had no sound at first myself. I looked up the sound card info for my system on HP's site . In my case a RealTek sound adapter. I went to RealTek's site and found the LINUX driver.

Works good.

- Abigsky
        Windows Server Engineer by day,<br />Kubuntu junky by night.

Comment

Re: No sound on Acer Aspire laptop

I have no audio on an Acer Aspire 5043 WLMI (Kub FF 64 bits)
          Any damn clues how to fix this?
          Poseidon GNU/Linux 64 & 32 bits
          GNU/Linux user #451206
          (K)Ubuntu user #21328

Comment

Does a sound chip show up when you
            Code:
            lspci -v
            ?

How about your BIOS settings -- is there an "Onboard Sound" setting?

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              Does a sound chip show up when you
              Code:
              lspci -v
              ?
              I "run" this and nothing happened! Should it be in a terminal window?

How about your BIOS settings -- is there an "Onboard Sound" setting?
              Well, it working in the "other OS" I have grub for dual boot.
              I am trying to contribute with the aptop testing at wiki.kubuntu... quite complicated at first. Let see if my misery can help somebody else
              GNU/Linux user #451206
              (K)Ubuntu user #21328

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzalo Velasco C.
                Yes.
                For external use only.

Comment

Re: No sound on LAPTOPS

Originally posted by SheeEttin
                  Originally posted by Gonzalo Velasco C.
                  Yes.
                  Just not to win the donkey award :P I can say I found some things at https://wiki.kubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/ but some commands did not get me good information... or info. at all! For example the not-well-explained/typed commands lcpci and lchal.

But now running it properly (lspci -v, as you've said) and in the terminal, I get:
                  00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SB450 HDA Audio (rev 01)
                  Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Unknown device 0080
                  Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
                  Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
                  Capabilities: <access denied>

In the graphic "Hal Device Manager" for KDE (I've installed today, also), it says almost the same and that the path is /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2

Just to remind you, friends, its an Acer Aspire 5043 WLMi running Kubuntu 7.0.4 (FF) 64 bits.
                  NO SOUND AT ALL!
                  And I've tried to change some things at the audio codification (under system information utility in the K-menu), that it is set to autodetect devices, but I got no sound and sometimes it restarted the applying changes's percentage 5 or 6 times and I aborted it.
                  Go figure!

Cheers!
                  GNU/Linux user #451206
                  (K)Ubuntu user #21328

Comment

OK, a question or two, and a pointer.

Did you have sound of any kind when you ran the Kubuntu Live CD?

Have you opened the Kmixer and made sure there are no mutes on where they should not be?

Have you installed the alsa-base package?

It says here that your ATI chip is supported by alsa. If you click the link beside the SB450, it will show you how to install a suitable driver, if you believe you are lacking one now.

Hope this helps you get some noise going!

Comment

OK, a question or two, and a pointer.
                      Did you have sound of any kind when you ran the Kubuntu Live CD?
                      Good question... I don't remember will check later with the CD.

Have you opened the Kmixer and made sure there are no mutes on where they should not be?
                      Yes.

Have you installed the alsa-base package?
                      It was already installed, now I re-installed it, just in case.

It says here that your ATI chip is supported by alsa. If you click the link beside the SB450, it will show you how to install a suitable driver, if you believe you are lacking one now.
                      Hope this helps you get some noise going!
                      THANKS, I'm taking a look there now... I'll let you know.
                      But as long as I've been reading around, (K)Ubuntu is not the happier distro with sound cards, is it? Besides that, it's very good!

Cheers.
                      GNU/Linux user #451206
                      (K)Ubuntu user #21328

Comment

Get the alsaplayer-xxx series of packages as well, just for good measure (I just looked at what I have installed here, and I have alsaplayer-alsa, alsaplayer-common, alsaplayer-daemon, alsaplayer-gtk, and alsaplayer-oss).

I really don't have the experience to offer an opinion on the degree to which *buntu is better or worse than other Linuces, wrt sound devices. I know I had to "fiddle around" with mine, in both Kubuntu and Ubuntu, to get it working -- I have the Intel HDA integrated on my motherboard. But it sure works great now, so I have no regrets.

Comment

PS: I have just restarted the laptop with the live-CD and... taraaaaaa!!! no sound, also I'll try to install this other packages you have mentioned. But first let me reboot with the Ubuntu CD (32 bits version) just to check what the heck may be going on...
                          again. It says "no volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found". I guess this sound-card is not as universal as it should be...
                          But this models (of Acer Aspire) are not new, shouldn't it be a generic driver or so that would work with this ATI cards in the kernel, already?

By the way, the ALSA page says this kernel (2.6.x) is already updated regarding ALSA!? So there would be no need to download it and manually install...
                          Remember some of us are "quite new" in the Linux world and "brand new" in (K)ubuntu And of course I am not going to regret adventuring myself in GNU/Linux just because of this, but is somehow sad we cannot move more freely in this new fields.

Thanks a lot!
                          Let's keep learning
                          GNU/Linux user #451206
                          (K)Ubuntu user #21328

Comment

Here's some great guidance on sound system troubleshooting: http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000262

Comment

Here's some great guidance on sound system troubleshooting: http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000262
                              I'll check it out!
                              THANKS!
                              GNU/Linux user #451206
                              (K)Ubuntu user #21328

Comment

Working...
                              X