This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printing over wifi to HP printer hardwired to WinXP not working

I have been able to set this up on many other distros and at this point, I'm not sure what the problem is.

First off...here is my setup:

I have a HP printer that is hardwired to a WinXP desktop which is hardwired to my wireless router. Then I have my Kubuntu laptop connected to the wireless router (wirelessly)

For some reason I cannot get Kubuntu to print over the wifi. I entered all of the location info the way it should be, but when I press Test, nothing will print and I don't get any error messages...it just says press ok when the page prints.

Apparently both computers can communicate with each other, because I was able to ping my laptop with my desktop pc.

Any ideas on how to get this to work?

Re: Printing over wifi to HP printer hardwired to WinXP not working

Do you have it set up as a Samba printer on the Kubuntu machine and a shared printer on the Windows machine (assuming it's not a networked/networkable printer (i.e. Ethernet-enabled))?
    For external use only.

Comment

Yes, the windows machine is set up for printer sharing, and I do try to connect to the printer from Kubuntu using the Samba network. The printer is not a network printer, the only way I should be able to print is through my home network to the other pc.

Here's the strange thing...I had a Netgear wireless router and was able to connect no problem, but now that I have a Linksys router, when I search through the Samba network, it doesn't even find my windows pc.

I spoke with Linksys and of course, they are telling me I reconfigured my computer and it is not the router (go figure)...all I know for sure is, I didn't reconfigure anything, and when my laptop was using Vista it couldn't print either.

Comment

Samba doesn't find my printer either, nor even the computer, but I can still print to it. What happens if you use (for example) \\192.168.1.101\printer to access it/set it up?
        For external use only.

Comment

Working...
        X