X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you set your port to use ttyusb0

hello everyone

how do you set your port to use ttyusb0

i have a usb to serial cable but when i try to upload a file i get a GetCommState error

i was reading that you have to set port to use ttyUSB0 but i don't know how to do that

thanks

Re: how do you set your port to use ttyusb0

How are you trying to do this?
    For external use only.

Comment

trying to fix my reciver

this is what was reading

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=7814.0

Comment

What's the device? A dumb terminal, modem, what?
        For external use only.

Comment

a receiver, i have to upload a file to it, but it uses a serial connection

an FTA receiver

Comment

Umm... you are attempting to upload a file via a satellite receiver?
            Well, I'm not especially familiar with radio transmission, but from what I understand, a receiver can't transmit with the hardware available to it. You need transmitting equipment.

Unless you mean something along the lines of firmware. Then you need to consult your manual.
            For external use only.

Comment

Right, here goes.

a) Normal serial port: /dev/ttySx

b) USB serial port: /dev/ttyUSBy

"Set your port to use /dev/ttyUSB0": change a) to b) in whatever is trying to talk to the serial port. That is what the original poster you linked to was saying, and he is assuming you're connecting to a modem hence his reply about a dialler.

If you are trying to flash firmware, make sure that you are aware that if something goes wrong you have created a very expensive paperweight, and adding a USB<->Serial converter is adding another item in the list of things that could go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesM
                Right, here goes.

a) Normal serial port: /dev/ttySx

b) USB serial port: /dev/ttyUSBy

"Set your port to use /dev/ttyUSB0": change a) to b) in whatever is trying to talk to the serial port. That is what the original poster you linked to was saying, and he is assuming you're connecting to a modem hence his reply about a dialler.

If you are trying to flash firmware, make sure that you are aware that if something goes wrong you have created a very expensive paperweight, and adding a USB<->Serial converter is adding another item in the list of things that could go wrong.

I Had to re-install windows to do the firmware flash.

i have a laptop, so there is no serial port on it, windows picks it up automatically that the usb is used for the file transfer ..etc...

i was hoping that there is a way to change it by default on laptops that any serial port communication is going via USB.

i understand that we can change it in the tool (for modems) but what about other tool that have it hardcoded in the software ...is there a way to do the change from the O.S instead of the application?

Comment

Working...
                X