This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dual head xinerama sigsegv 11 guidance HELP

I need help...I am currently using ubuntu because my kubuntu install wouldn't let me avoid seeing error messages every time I logged in to X because I have a dual card dual head setup using xinerama...

I keep getting the error message because I guess Xrandr and Xinerama are incompatible...

How can I get back to using Kubuntu...I miss my KDE but I don't miss the error messages...

<sad face> <---sorry...old irc junkie...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Re: dual head xinerama sigsegv 11 guidance HELP

Please tell us what these mythical "error messages" are, then we might be able to help you... I could make a guess but it's good practice to give as many details as you can when asking for help.

Comment

It is indeed. Also of interest would be /var/log/Xorg.0.log (or just errors and warnings, i.e. the output of "grep WW /var/log/Xorg.0.log && grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log").
      For external use only.

Comment

This was a while ago...I have since installed ubuntu and wiped my kubuntu install...

Can I install the kubuntu desktop (via synaptic) and still use my old desktop (gnome) if I want to? If so I can do the install and give you the proper error...

It had something to do with sigsegv 11 and something to do with the power_managment.py I think...

Until I can install kubuntu without worrying about losing ubuntu I'm gonna stick with this...

I know that everytime I wanted to run the utility that let me adjust the power settings on the monitors on the monitors it would give me that error...and whenever I started X...and the only WW in my log referenced that Xrandr was incompatible with xinerama...

All I wanted was not having to see that error everytime I logged in...

With gnome all I did was remove the program from my panel that used Xrandr but in KDE I couldn't see that option...This was 2 weekends ago...and I knew a lot less than I do now...which is fairly impressive because I don't know anything now and that's tons more than before...

Comment

OK, I thought so. The error message you're getting is "Power Manager (guidance-power-manager.py) crashed with signal 11 (SIGSEGV)..." or thereabouts.

This is a "feature" of Feisty; as you suggest it's a problem with the version of the XRandR library in Feisty. Put simply, it's changed some things so a heck of a lot of things break when using it. The "fix" I've had to use is simply removing the power manager app - not really a big issue since I'm using a desktop (as I'm sure you are too, with a dual-head setup). You'll lose the "Monitor and Display" section of KControl too - but I've never successfully used it, so it's no big loss. Learn to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf by hand, saves so much trouble.

(This same "feature" kept segfaulting MythTV and it took me about two weeks to narrow the error down, and finally compile Myth without XRandR support to get it working.)

As to your other point - it's perfectly fine to install the kubuntu-desktop package (or even the kde package, if you want) - you'll be able to choose at the X login screen which window manager to use for your session.

Comment

thanks for the heads up...Because I have a perfectly working xorg.conf...that took me a couple days to figure out...we're talking LONG days...it's messy but working...Couldn't figure out for about 41 hours why it wasn't working then I stumbled on a thing that said "startx --serverlayout -<layout>"

Solved eveything in one second...turns out there wasn't a nice little gui for dual head in gnome so I had to fudge it a bit...but it works beautifully...

Once I can figure out how to uninstall the guidance-power-manager.py I'll be in business...

And I guess while I have someone actually reading my posts...

What kinds of things can I do to lighten my KDE so that it'll run a little quicker...it runs nice now...but I like it when I know what to turn off to speed things up a bit...any suggestions...

Sorry for all the questions...I'm a veteran win tech (ask me anything about that and I can help you out) but I'm kinda green in linux...

I've been trying it on and off since whatever the dist before slack was...I was living with guys like Death Veggie, etc... (google 'im) and I just never was able to get the nitty gritty right...too much rtfm...So, I decided to just go whole hog and make it work this time...

Wish me luck!

Comment

Eh, I was in the same place. Considering the amount of depth Linux has (Windows has it too, it's just not as accessible), one never really can be the "guru" one hears about.

Anyway, the first thing to do would be in System Settings > Appearance > Style > Effects. Tweak at your pleasure, I just unchecked the box at the top.
              To speed things up in general (especially boot/shutdown times), consider looking in System Settings > Advanced > System Services, and turning off services you're sure you don't need. (The only runlevels you need to concern yourself with are 1 and 2, 1 being the "recovery mode", and 2 being standard multi-user mode.)
              For external use only.

Comment

Quick question....How do I uninstall power-guidance-manager.py ?

I still haven't figured that out....

Thanks!

Comment

ok...well...I goofed...I did the kubuntu-desktop install...removing the kde-guidance-powermanager from the install and Now I have no proper X...looks like another re-install to do...damn...

Comment

Not necessarily. Post the result of "grep WW /var/log/Xorg.0.log && grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log" and we'll see why X won't start.
                    For external use only.

Comment

too late...I nuked and re-installed...

Now I'm looking at a screen with the wrong refresh rate 85kHz instead of 70...
                      Correct resolution though...

And I can't figure out how to add a modeline for 70kHz...

But beyond that...I'm trying to set up samba now...why was it sooooo much easier in xfce and gnome....both took about 12 secionds to do...in KDE I'm having nothing but problems...I have another thread going about it...

I'm so tired already...and it's only noon!

Comment

Working...
                      X