This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Sound on Toshiba Laptop with Intel Sound Card

I've looked through most of the forums and saw that most people with the same or similar hardware were able to correct the problem by adding acpi=off on the end of the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst.

I tried doing the same, but all it does for me when I reboot is have my BIOS throw out some error messages, and when I do get to Kubuntu, I still have no sound, and my volume control wheel no longer works. So right now, I don't have the acpi=off on the kernel line. I tried removing the acpi and the other power management files in Adempt, but still no luck.

I saw another person corrected the problem by going into KMix and doing something with a digital/analog switch, but mine doesn't have that.

Does anyone know of any other ways to get sound working?

Re: No Sound on Toshiba Laptop with Intel Sound Card

what model Toshiba Laptop do you have?

this isn't complete yet, i'm still working on it, and sorry for the yahoo adds, but like i said i just uploaded it for you a second ago.

http://www.geocities.com/sikofitt/index.html
    hope it helps some.

http://www.geocities.com/sikofitt/realtek6.tar.gz

Comment

I have a Satellite A135-S4477.

Keep me posted as to when that is finished...I'd rather go without sound for now than possibly ending up with no sound and no wifi.

Comment

Please, don't create more than one thread for a single problem. (This also means that if a problem is being solved in one thread, regardless of the original thread topic, the same problem should not be posted in another.) It really messes up where we are (and may mess up your computer).
        For external use only.

Comment

I recently noticed that when I turn on my computer I am getting an error message that pops up really quick. Here is the message that comes up:

Starting up...
          0.1518231 PCI: BIOS BUG #81149435000

After that, the Kubuntu screen with the loading status bar comes up and it tends to take a short while to reach 100%, but after that another message comes up which disappears really fast. Here is as much as I could get from it.

Starting up...
          [ 0.128931] PCI: BIOS BUG #81149435000]
          Loading, please wait...
          kinit: name_to_dev_t f/dev/disk/by-uuid/a722eabf-4c63-4ac6-

kinit: trying to resume from /dev/disk/by-uuid/a722eabf-4c

kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot...

Ubuntu 7.04

I'm thinking this might have something to do with my sound problems since I first noticed a similar message when I put acpi=off in the /boot/menu/grub.lst.

I currently do not have the acpi=off line in that file since it was causing more problems than before and I still didn't have any sound.

Does anyone know how to fix this Bios Bug?
          And is this the reason I do not have any sound?

Comment

Also, I went to Toshiba's website for my laptop and saw there was an update for the BIOS that was recently added. I'm not sure if this will help or not, but it says its for Windows Vista...it's an .exe file, so how do I update it in Kubuntu?

Comment

Originally posted by dkarlmt
              it's an .exe file, so how do I update it in Kubuntu?
              You don't.

You have tripped over one of the few reasons why it does make some sense to keep a bootable Windows partition. You can't run a Windows "app" that addresses your hardware directly, from Linux, as far as I know -- you'll need to either make a bootable DOS diskette and boot up that way (use Google to find out how) or keep a small Windows partition that is bootable on your hard drive, for such occasions.

Comment

For quick floppies (or other media, like flash drives), I like bootdisk.com.
                For external use only.

Comment

well...I updated the BIOS and still have that error message. I had a friend take a look at it and was going through the kernels and noticed that I have 4 boot kernels or something like that when I should only have 2?

Apparently I have 2 regular kernels for normal load and 2 recovery kernels for recovery mode...is this normal?

I installed fiesty only once and had it partition the entire drive so he couldn't tell why I had 2...could this be the problem?

Has anyone found any other methods for correcting the no sound issue yet?

Comment

I can't help you with Toshiba sound specifics. But YES, it is normal that you get a "recovery mode" boot option with each kernel option that you set in your Grub menu.

Comment

Hmm... Well, let's try something. If you do "lshw", how's the section on your sound "card" read? (It's one of the Intel ones, but I'm not sure how specific it'll be.)
                      For external use only.

Comment

Ok, well I had to revert back to windows trying to fix that BIOS bug error I was getting, and I learned some things and have some more questions.

Right now I am running windows vista (somebody please help me) and I found out that the sound system I am using is Realtek High Definition Audio.

I tried running the Kubuntu Live CD and saw that same BIOS bug I had before, so the problem isn't in the BIOS...it is a conflict between my hardware and Kubuntu.

I called Toshiba and they said that the reason that the acpi=off doesn't work is that the power management thing is not in the BIOS...it is in something else that cannot be disabled.

So, my question is kinda open ended...any ideas as to what I could do? I don't want to run Vista and really like Kubuntu. What is the difference between Fiesty and the earlier version (I think its Dapper?)

I might try to run Dapper if there isn't much difference since I have seen a few posts where ppl seem to think it is a bug with Fiesty since so many ppl are having the same problem...I tried looking around, but does anybody know if this issue is being worked on and if there is an estimated resolution time or alternatively, when they are expecting to release the new distro that I saw on the main kubuntu page?

Comment

I'd hazard a guess that the "BIOS bug" is strange BIOS behavior intended for Windows. Or something like that.
                          There is a chance your motherboard is supported by linuxBIOS, but it's a long shot.

Anyway, Dapper is the "long term support" edition, meaning it'll be supported until 2009 (I think) on the desktop. I think Gutsy (the next release, 7.10?) is also an LTS, but I don't know... If running Dapper solves your problem, by all means, go ahead.
                          Or, if you'd like to hold out for Gutsy without sound, that's an option... It's your choice in the end.
                          For external use only.

Comment

well...I've been usin Vista for about a week now and I'm gettin annoyed with it so I'm back to tryin to get my sound working.

I've tried a few other distros and didn't like anything else out there so I'm tryin again with Kubuntu.

I installed the last version of Kubuntu...I think it's Edgy right? Anyways, I saw a similiar "BIOS bug" on startup that I saw with Feisty, but when everything was up and running I have sound.

At the moment I am running Feisty on the livecd and I tried running with and without the acpi=off on the boot option and I still don't have sound. I was going to wait until Dapper came out but I think that won't be for at least a few months (and I'm a bit impatient)

Anyways, I was looking at one of the last posts and someone told me to show what I had for my soundcard under "lshw" so here it is:

under multimedia I have:
                            *-multimedia
                            description: Audio device
                            product: 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller
                            vendor: Intel Corporation
                            physical id: 1b
                            bus info: pci@00:1b.0
                            version: 02
                            width: 64 bits
                            clock: 33MHz
                            capabilities: bus_master cap_list
                            configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0
                            resources: iomemory:dc440000-dc443fff irq:22

Also, I'm not sure if I mentioned it but I'm guessing acpi=off doesn't work because Toshiba decided to add the acpi options somewhere other than the BIOS that it cannot be changed (according to their support team)

Also, when I am running Vista, the soundcard is listed as Realtek.

Anyone got any ideas that I can try?

Comment

I finally finished, at least for now.

go to http://www.geocities.com/sikofitt

I've tested everything on the 2 generic feisty kernels, as well as the newest 2.6.22.1 kernel.

also, just so you know. i did "lshw" as well, and every single part of it was identical to yours. We have the same exact sound card, so I'm very confident that if you follow my tutorial for getting kubuntu running on toshiba, you will have sound.

.e

Comment

Working...
                              X