Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just switched to Kubuntu from Sabayon and having some problems....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just switched to Kubuntu from Sabayon and having some problems....

I have 2 problems at the moment.

1) I have no sound what so ever. Not from any programs, websites or system notifications.

2) I don't think I have video drivers running and not sure how to get them.

1- I'm not too familiar with KMix, but I was reading over some of the posts and it said to look for some analog/digital switch in the mixer window, but I don't seem to have that. In my output tab I have (PCM, Front, Front Mic, and Mic) in my switches tab I have (Headphone, Caller ID and Off-hook). I tried messin around a bit with these settings and haven't been able to get anywhere. I'm not sure what sound card I have. I have a Toshiba Satellite and here are some specs on my laptop:

Operating System2, C1
    • Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    o 32-bit version
    Processor and Chipset3
    Intel® Centrino® Duo Mobile Technology featuring:
    • Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5200
    C1
    o 1.60GHz, 2MB L2, 533MHz FSB with 64-bit
    • Chipset
    o Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset
    • Integrated Wi-Fi® compliant wireless LAN
    o Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG (802.11a/b/g)
    Memory5
    • Configured with 2048MB PC4200 DDR2 memory modules (both
    memory slots may be occupied)
    • 2048MB (Min)/4096MB (Max), with 1024MB, 2048MB PC4200
    DDR2 memory modules.
    Hard Disk Drive6
    • 180GB using two Serial-ATA (SATA) hard disk drives; 9.5mm
    height;
    o Primary + Secondary drive: 80GB + 100GB
    Fixed Optical Disk Drive7
    • DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive supporting 11 formats
    o Maximum speed and compatibility: CD-ROM (24x), CD-R
    (24x), CD-RW (16x), DVD-ROM (8x), DVD-R (Single
    Layer, (8x)), DVD-R (Double Layer, (4x)), DVD-RW (6x),
    DVD+R (Single Layer, (8x)), DVD+R (Double Layer, (4x)),
    DVD+RW (8x), DVD-RAM (5x)
    Display8
    • 15.4” diagonal widescreen TruBrite™ TFT active-matrix LCD
    display at 1280x800 native resolution (WXGA)
    Graphics9
    • Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with 8MB-256MB
    dynamically allocated shared graphics memory
    Sound
    • Built-in stereo speakers
    • Sound Volume Control Dial

2- As for the video drivers, I have Kaffeine and KMplayer and neither seem to be able to play any wmv, avi or mpg/mpeg files.

Can someone please help me with these issues?

Re: Just switched to Kubuntu from Sabayon and having some problems....

Originally posted by dkarlmt
    o Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset
    This chip set does appear to have problems with Kubuntu. I (and others) have gotten sound to function with this chip set, by adding "acpi=off" to the end of the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst Modified 2007-07-21: My bad! :-X This is the video chip, not the sound chip. Need to have the audio chip identified.

You can test this, without modifying the menu.lst file, by hitting esc from the boot menu and typing apci=off as a boot line modifier. If you have working sound after booting, that fix can be made permanent by editing the menu.lst as stated above.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

How's Sabayon doing? I've taken a cursory look, and it looks interesing.

EDIT: It is indeed interesting, though portage takes some getting used to. I like apt better.
      Oh, and I don't like the way Sabayon installs everything but the kitchen sink; the kitchen sink being things like "man", which should be a given...
      For external use only.

Comment

I'm still kinda new to linux and not comfortable messing around in config files. I went into /boot/grub/menu.lst and was looking for the kernel line and when I get to the bottom of the page (below "end default options") there are 5 paragraphs which all have a kernel line in them, so I'm not sure which to edit if not all.

The first and third say "generic" and the 2nd and 4th say "recovery mode" and the 5th says memtest.

Which of these do I modify?

As for the other parts, I figured out the codec problem.

And as far as SL, that was the first linux distro that I liked because it was the only distro that I had come across that pretty much everything worked out of the box. The only prob is, it still is a little unstable and the fact that the Live CD installs everything...and I mean everything. KDE, Gnome, and 2 other GUI's. That and every prog under the sun is installed by default. They are supposed to be releasing a new distro in about a week that is supposed to fix those issues, but I got tired of waiting and someone turned me to Kubuntu and so far I like it better than SL.

Comment

Probably the first. You can tell for sure by watching it boot; it should tell you which kernel it's booting.
          For external use only.

Comment

SheeEttin is correct, you want to put it on the first kernel line entry. But, you can put it on the second and third if you want - it won't hurt. If you ever do boot using those, then .... The memtest kernel line is just that - a test of memory - it won't boot your system, so you don't add the entry to this kernel line.

Comment

ok, I went to edit the file and came up with another problem.

I'm guessing that I have to be in administrator mode to edit the file and I tried logging in as su, and that didn't work, then I tried to do a sudo command and that didn't work either...

is there a trick to logging in as administrator in kubuntu.

btw...forgot to mention I was using Konsole if that matters

Comment

Okay. If you are using a Konsole shell, then input the following command:

kdesu kate /boot/grub/menu.lst

You will get a number of reported errors within the Konsole window - ignore them - a password prompt window will open. Input your user password. Kate should load with the menu.lst file open for editing. You will be doing so as the super user.

Comment

okay, I added the line to the kernel line (not sure if there was supposed to be a comma, or something besides a space)

but, i rebooted my laptop and first I got a short msg that bios was corrupt or something, but it did boot to Kubuntu. Still no sound, and it also disabled my volume control wheel.

I removed the line and rebooted and everything is back to normal...including no sound still.

Comment

Hmmm. Okay. Assuming you added the entry correctly, you should have had you kernel line looking similar to this (below, it is wrapped, but it is one single line):

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic root=UUID=a2357a43-de81-4157-91ff-4fe745f01a79 ro splash acpi=off

Don't worry if yours didn't/doesn't look like mine. What is important, is the acpi=off addition. Is that how you typed it? And if yes, you still had no sound when you booted?

Comment

nope...just tried it again and it didn't work...same errors with the bios and as soon as i took out the line it corrected itself, but no sound

Comment

Well, that might indicate that your particular sound issue isn't related to, or fixed by, the acpi=off approach. But that isn't a guarantee though.

Let's try another approach. Check to see that your user account is part of the audio group.

Open System Settings. Click on User Management and click the Administrator button and input your user password. Highlight your user name and click the Modify button. Check the entries in Secondary Groups for the entry audio. If it is not there, add it.

Comment

audio is listed in the secondary group

Comment

Sorry for the delay. Business in the yard to take care of.

Open a Konsole and type in the following command and post the results:

Code:
                            lspci | grep 'Audio'

Comment

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)

Also, thought I'd include what is listed under KInfoCenter if it helps:

Sound Driver: 3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.14rcl emulation code)

Installed drivers:
                              Type 1 0: ALSA emulation

Card config:
                              HDA Intel at 0xdc440000 irq 21

Audio devices:
                              0: ALC861VD Analog (DUPLEX)

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Timers:
                              31: system timer

Mixers:
                              0: Realtek ALC861-VD