This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I in the right distro section

I just installed Kubuntu 7.04, am I in the right section of this forum? Also, why does everyone keep referring to Ubuntu in this forum. Isn't it completely different from Kubuntu? Thanks.

Re: Am I in the right distro section

kubuntu 7.04 = kubuntu feisty fawn.
    you posted to the hardware support section.
    if the one below is your question, well then you'd better post it in the software support,
    or help the new guy, or anything else sections.
    but that's not a big deal, is it?

Originally posted by jacatone
    Also, why does everyone keep referring to Ubuntu in this forum. Isn't it completely different from Kubuntu? Thanks.
    well, actually, no.
    ubuntu and kubuntu share the same back end.
    the operating system underneath is the same.
    the only difference is the desktop environment.
    it's not a small difference, mind you.
    well, actually it's quite i big one

let's see...
    ubuntu uses the gnome desktop environment, which is based on the gtk libraries.
    kubuntu uses the kde desktop environment, which is based on the qt libraries.
    there's also xubuntu, which uses the xfce desktop environment, which is also based on the gtk libs.

you can have the 3 desktops installed alongside one another, if you wish.
    and/or you can have gtk based applications run under kde and/or qt applications run under gnome.

if you google for the mentioned keywords, you'll certainly find a lot of stuff.

we can point you to further reading if you needed/wanted to.

hth
    cheers
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Re: Am I in the right distro section

Oh, there're more environments. There's ROX, Enlightenment, Blackbox and derivatives, Ratpoison, wmii, dwm, Ion, and others. It's Linux, there's several ways to do anything (it's not just Perl).

As for the version, 7.04's codename is Feisty Fawn, or just Feisty. 6.10 was Edgy Eft, and 6.06 was Dapper Drake. There were more, but it'd bore you. The next version, 7.10 is Gutsy Gibbon. (Version numbers don't make sense? It's year.month of the release.)
      For external use only.

Comment

Working...
      X