X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Wireless LAN Problems

Hi there

I am considering giving Windows XP the elbow for good. I am going to upgrade my laptop to have a 120GB HDD and I will be installing Kubuntu on it as the sole operating system. I have a 7.04 Feisty Fawn CD but I may hold out for Gutsy.

I have just tried out the live CD of Kubuntu Feisty and everything works fine, even the touchpad which I am surprised at.

The only problem I have encountered is that the Wireless LAN is on by default during boot, and it will not disable when I boot into Kubuntu, even if I press the button on the front to disable it. This could seriously be a deciding factor as to whether I choose to switch to Kubuntu, as I don't want battery life needlessly wasted by the wireless LAN adapter.

Is there anything I can do about this? My laptop is an Acer TravelMate 2414WLMi

Re: Kubuntu Wireless LAN Problems

I have an ACER Aspire 3618. AFAIK, the wireless on/off button will not work. However, I do know that right clicking on Knetworkmanager in the task tray and going to Options there is a function that says "Disable Wireless". It should disable it, now if it actually turns it off, I'm not sure, but that is what I take Disable to mean. Try it. It might be what you want to do.

Comment

Re: Kubuntu Wireless LAN Problems

MoonRise,

I have an HP ze2000 laptop and my symptoms are exactly as you mention. I hope there is someone out there that can help fix this problem. However, I actually can connect via a hardwire ethernet connection but it is a pain not being able to connect via wireless.

Ron

Comment

Working...
      X