This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IVTV & Hauppage PVR-150

Before I go humiliate myself on the IVTV forum, has anyone on this forum successfully installed and configured IVTV to capture analogue input (broadcast TV or VHS tape)?

Thanks in advance!

Re: IVTV & Hauppage PVR-150

Hey dibl -

Have you checked through:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Install_IVTV_Feisty
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks Paul. Yes, I stumbled across that this morning -- there might be some help in there. I've got it "almost" working, but there's a little something still wrong and I'm way out my league trying to build drivers after plopping a new piece of hardware into my Linux system. :P

Comment

This item is described as using Edgy, but ....
        http://www.djlosch.com/article_How-t...ppauge_PVR-150

Comment

Thanks -- I bookmarked it. Happily, my goal is less grandiose than running MythTV. I only want to capture and digitize from analog VHS tapes, and IVTV should be sufficient for that purpose. I've got the tuner working, but there's something still wrong with my device setup or driver. Among other hints, dmesg provides this strange little bit of wisdom:

Code:
          [  49.390149] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
          I don't know if that means the ideologues are after me and I have to run the "nv" driver, or what. :P

Anyway, I'm still deep into capturing old audio records, so this will have to wait for another day to deal with. Which reminds, I also read that IVTV will come as a package in 2.6.22, so it may be that the passage of some time will make my problem go away.

Comment

I try to never assume that something has been seen or done, so in case you have not, have you checked out this link:
            http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Main_Page

Comment

Yep, that's the Bible of how to do it. These are the words that give me hope:

As of upcoming kernel 2.6.22 ivtv will be in mainline so all module selection and building should be done from within mainline.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                Code:
                [ 49.390149] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
                In searching (Google) on other items of interest, came across this, which you might find interesting, given that it states: "Since Nvidia doesn't provide the source code for the driver, it "taints the purity" of the Linux kernel."
                http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=268

Given your dmesg notice above I thought the link might be of interest to you.

Comment

"taints the purity" --- don't you just love it? It's a stupid box of circuit cards and fans and hard drives and downloaded software, and some goofazoid is worried about "tainting the purity" ....

Ahhhhhhhhh, to be 22 and and on a mission to save humanity again ..... :P

Comment

What may be the 'jewel' in that post however, is information on turning on support for 'binary only drivers' in the kernel:

The creator of Linux, Linus Torvalds, has publicly stated that he doesn't care about binary only drivers, but the "purity" faction continues to make attempts to thwart the easy inclusion of binary only drivers. Starting around kernel version 2.6.11, a build option was added to the kernel code to "allow binary only drivers". A lot of the standard distros now ship a kernel with this option turned off! You need to get a kernel with the option turned on, either from a repository or building one yourself.

Comment

Yep. As I recall, the Nvidia driver is a binary. :P :P :P

Comment

Are you (and others) using his binary driver from Nvidia, or an open source version?

Comment

The fglrx driver taints my kernel.
                          All it really means is that you can't distribute the kernel with that module.
                          For external use only.

Comment

Yep -- it's irrelevant to the performance of the system.

BTW, I'm getting closer with this analog TV thing -- got xawtv "this close" last night, but there's a conflict regarding XF86-DGA and the proprietary Nvidia driver. Maybe I need to try tvtime -- that's next on the hit parade.

Comment

Working...
                            X