This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nvidia 5200 problem

I can't seems to get the nvidia drivers to install. Anytime I try to install the drivers I always reboot, and get nothing but a black screen. I can always edit the xorg.conf file and change the driver from nvidia to nv and restart and the screen returns. The only problem is when I change the driver name I get the follow error message when trying to run glxgears.

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
    I take this to mean that the drivers are not properly installed. I have follow a lot of guides I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong. I am afraid I am overlooking something obvious but I really have no idea what the problem is. Any help would be appreciated.

I have also attached my xorg.conf if that can be of any use. Thanks

Caleb

Attached Files

Re: nvidia 5200 problem

Have you tried using the Envy script installer? Get it here: http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

Download the file "envy_0.9.6-0ubuntu1_all.deb" which is about halfway down the page. When it is on your desktop, right-click it and choose "Kubuntu Package Manager > Install" and it will be installed. You will find it in Kmenu>System, and then you can click it to run it, and it will do the driver installation for you. Mostly it works, but not for 100% of folks.

If you have any difficulty running it in GUI mode, you can run it from any text prompt:
    Code:
    sudo envy -t
    Also, to restart your X server, you only need to do Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, not a system reboot.

Fair warning -- the next time a kernel upgrade is applied, the xserver driver will "break", and you will need to run Envy from the text prompt. That command is
    Code:
    sudo envy -t
    Hope this helps

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I gave envy a try because of its high success rate, and it works but, I get the same results. A black screen when I restart x. I have no problem installing the drivers. It just when the change from nv to nvidia occurs I always get a black screen upon restarting x.

Comment

Do you see the Nvidia splash screen first, then a black window, or just nothing but black when you restart X?

Comment

I get nothing but black when I restart X and the little green power light that it on my monitor flashes.

Comment

Here is the error I get when I try to run startx from the command, when using nvidia driver as opposed to to nv driver.

API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has the version 1.0-9629 but this X module has the version 1.0-9639. Please make sure that the kernel module and all NVIDIA drivers have the same version

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module! Please ensure
            (EE) NVIDIA(0): that there is a supported NVIDIA GPU in this system, and
            (EE) NVIDIA(0): that the NVIDIA device files have been created properly.
            (EE) NVIDIA(0): Please consult the NVIDIA README for details.
            (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
            (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
            (II) UnloadModule: "ramdac"
            (II) UnloadModule: "fb"
            (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
            no screens found

Comment

I believe the 5200 series is only supported under the "legacy" NVidia drivers. Try using them...
              E. A. (Ed) Graham, Jr.<br />Professional Java Geek<br />Linux User #28251

Comment

Originally posted by crackers
                I believe the 5200 series is only supported under the "legacy" NVidia drivers. Try using them...
                No,thats not correct, the FX5200 uses the standard drivers.

Comment

According to Nvidia here, the FX 5200 is supported by their newest driver, 100.14.11, which Envy is SUPPOSED to install for you. So, according to your log message, there is a residual bit of -9629 stuck in your system, as well as -9639 which apparently is the driver version was attempted last.

I'm a little mystified at the failure of Envy to take care of this, and I'm wondering if it might work better to do it from a true text console (i.e. with no kdm and xserver running).

The 100.14.11 driver version was only incorporated in Envy in late June, so if you haven't downloaded and installed Envy since June 22, you need to do it again.

Assuming Envy is installed on your system, I would encourage you to either (a) boot in recovery mode and use the text console that way, or (b) stop the xserver, and then run Envy in text mode, by following these steps:

1. Ctrl-Alt-F1, and log in
                  Code:
                  sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
                  Code:
                  sudo envy -t
                  This will bring up the Envy installation program in text mode. If I were you, my first step would be to tell it to REMOVE the existing Nvidia driver(s) that are causing your problem. So go through that process, and exit back to the text prompt. Then
                  Code:
                  sudo envy -t
                  again, and this time tell it you wish to install the Nvidia driver. It will automatically install 100.14.11 -- just follow the steps, and do as it says. When it's finished and invites you to start your X server, say "yes", and I'll have my fingers crossed.

Comment

i had same problem with envy
                    blank screen and if i did a ctrl alt f3 to get a term
                    it said same thing u posted

i used envy to unistall driver then used the manual install option and it all cleared up
                    i have a 7950gt but it gave me choice to install legacy driver

when envy unistalled it installed a bunch of packages i didnt have also

<hope this helps some i am sorta new at this>

Comment

Working...
                    X