X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GeForce 7800 GS Help!

Hey all,

Well I finally got Kubuntu installed but this is my problem now. I can go to the display settings and I click detect card and it finds "GeForce 7 series" which is right. I click apply and then close the display settings but when I go back I find that it is back to "vesa" or something like that. Do I need to download drivers for the card or what? I tried to play a small game and the FPS was not that great. Any help would be appreciated!

Re: GeForce 7800 GS Help!

you can download Envy which is a ati/nvidia propietary driver installer. Or use automatix2 to install the open driver. goto getautomatix.com and use the installation link and choose your distro for the instructions. It's easy. you get envy at http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html. If you use envy you must rerun it everytime the kernel (linux-image-2.6.x) is upgraded.
    charlie
    I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Comment

Re: GeForce 7800 GS Help!

Envy or Automatix will work, but first I advise trying the packaged driver, because it will survive a kernel upgrade where the native proprietary driver will break.

In a konsole window, enter
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new
      to install the package.

After it is installed, I think you need to Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to restart the X server and login. You see the Nvidia splash screen before you see the login screen. If it works this far, open the konsole window again and enter
      Code:
      sudo nvidia-settings
      this will open the driver utility and you can set the default resolution and refresh rates, and tell it to auto-detect your monitor. When you have done these things, click the "Save to X Configuration File" button in the lower right corner, click "Save" on the little window that opens, and it will write the defaults to your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

That's it -- you should be good to go.

Comment

Working...
      X