X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem with printer installation

I am new.
    I installed a Feisty, not without sweat.
    I have an Epson cx3200 printer connected.
    I started the wizard for installation. It recognizes the existing of the printer connected. Finds it in the list.
    When coming to install the controller, it gives 4 options and one recommended (foomatic + gimp-print).
    So I take the recommended one.
    It then gives an error saying the controller cannot be installed because "it either doesn't exist or I don't have permissions".
    I then installed the first controller (English). Here it didn't give me errors, but it doesn't print.
    Then I tried with the 3rd choice (foomatic + gutenprint-ijs.5.0), and it gives the same error again.
    And the same happens with the 4th choice (foomatic + gutenprint).

What's the secret? I know Kubuntu is for free, but not printing...

Re: problem with printer installation

not sure (i have a plain postscript printer), but...
    try opening up "adept" and check if the "foomatic" and "gimp-print" packages are installed.
    if not, i'd say...install them first, then try setting up the printer again.
    and when you start the printer setup tool, make sure you click on "administrator mode...".
    it's down on the bottom right hand side...
    otherwise i wouldn't know.
    hth
    cheers
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

I have been having this problem since the first time I put my hands on a Linux machine, I could never, ever install a printer from the KDE control panel 1 single time. It always says the same sh!t about driver not being present or not enough permission. >
      Do the following:
      - Start the CUPS service (cupsd)
      - Open a web browser and point it to: http://127.0.0.1:631/
      - Do whatever your need. You will be prompted for the root password
      - Use your printer

Good luck.

Comment

in kcontrol or system settings you must click administrator mode to install printers.

>system settings>printers>administrator mode>add printer/class>follow instuctions from here on.

I have installed many printers with no problem unless I forget admin mode.
        I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
        X