This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitor resolution at 640X480!

The power went off to my house. Before it went off, my monitor was fine. When power came back on, my screen resolution was at 640X480, and everything is gigantic so that I can see only part of whatever is on screen. I restarted, making sure I chose regular mode (not safe mode)--same problem. When I went into system settings for the monitor, I find that 640X480 is the highest possible setting, so there are no higher settings for me to select.

Would some kind soul please help? This is making me crazy.

Thanks--

Re: Monitor resolution at 640X480!

OK. Knowing nothing whatever about your system, if you will open a konsole window, type
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    and on the first screen let it autodetect your graphics chip, it's possible that you'll end up with a reasonable GUI. If you want to post a few details about your hardware platform, it is possible that we can do better than that.

Comment

Thanks. I selected NVidia in XOrg and it seems to have solved the problem. I'm back to 1024X768. [I really hate maneuvering through the XOrg menu. It's not nice for inexperienced people.]

Comment

Originally posted by dhallar
        It's not nice for inexperienced people.
        Yep, I know. Sorry -- it gets easier with repetition .....

:P

Comment

I came across this problem before, and the cause of it is my monitor changed to generic instead of the correct model, which detected by the system during installation, I don't know why this happened.
          Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Comment

Yes. That's what happened to me--it went to generic. I suppose I'd better keep that console command to run XOrg for future power outages.

Comment

Working...
            X