This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVIDIA 8800 GTS DRIVER

I have searched through this forum (and others) for info on which NVIDIA driver to use for the nvidia geforce 8800 gts. Have also looked at the nvidia website. Confusion reigns!

"NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.11-pkg1.run" - downloaded this from nvidia as it is apparently the latest driver that supports the 8* series of cards.

This forum says to use nvidia-glx (old driver?)

Which one do I use?

Cheers

Ian

Re: NVIDIA 8800 GTS DRIVER

You can use any. As for the "older" driver, if you are only displaying 2D, surfing the web, writing some text or presentations, there is not much to be gained by using the most uptodate driver, or overclock your 8800 by 50% more GPU and memory freqs, I assure you the desktop will remain unchanged.
    I have been using Earthdecision Gocad, which is a professional CAD for geophysical 3D modelling, without any problems with 87.74 and 87.76, so I presume the little PC games like WoW and Battlefield will do quite good, in case you own Cedega.
    BTW, install Envy to get the most updated driver if you really want.
    Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by wianb
      Which one do I use?
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3084483.0

Get it here: http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

Comment

Cheers guys. Will give envy a go. Just to let you know, installed nvidia-glx, baaad move! Kubuntu would not restart, just lots of very colourful flashes on screen and system powered off. Have now re-installed kubuntu, let you know what happens.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by wianb
          Kubuntu would not restart, just lots of very colourful flashes on screen and system powered off.
          That should not have happened -- there may have been other things wrong with your initial installation attempt. Don't feel bad, I spent a week re-installing Kubuntu when I first tried it. Just call it "practice".

Regarding Envy, don't forget to grab these missing packages first, using Adept:

fakeroot
          python-glade2
          python-qt3
          dh-make

Then Envy should take of it for you. I found it didn't want to run in GUI mode for some reason, so after it is installed, I used a console and type
          Code:
           sudo envy -t
          to run it in text mode.

Comment

I don't mind the re-installing All makes for a learning experience. Thanks for your help.

Ian

Comment

Perfect 8). That was simple, all up and running.

Comment

Working...
              X