This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modem woes

After 15 years of using Microsoft, Vista was the last straw. I ordered the latest edition of Kubuntu (7.4) and managed to install it a couple of days ago as part of a dual boot system. The learning curve is steep for an old guy, but I'll get there.

If I could connect to the net directly from Kubuntu, things would go faster.
    Unfortunately, the Kppp will not recognize my dial up modem when I query for it.
    The modem is a Realtek that I purchased from Newegg maybe six months ago.
    In the accursed aforementioned OS it works just fine, so there's nothing wrong with
    the hardware.

If anybody has some to spare, I'd appreciate a kindly word of advice concerning this particular problem.

Re: Modem woes

Is this an internal (i.e. PCI card) or external (i.e. serial) modem?

Also, how much has it been set up?
    For external use only.

Comment

What is the chipset? Or, what is the exact model (possibly, newegg link) of the modem?

Comment

Thanks to you both for responding.

The modem in question is a PCI Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP.
        (I mistaken identified it as a "Realtek" in the first post)

Manufactured by Conexant
        Device ID: PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_2F20&SUBSYS_200C14F1&REV_00
        Driver version: 7.56.0.52
        Installed at: Com 3

Resources:
        Memory Range = FF5F0000-FF5FFFFF
        I/Q = BC00-BC07
        IRQ = 0x000000 16 (22)

I'm thinking that Linux needs to know some of this, but have no idea which file or partition to send it to. I'm as "newbie" as they come. Suggestions?

Comment

Ah, a Conexant... Hm.

Conexant, like a lot of others, does not distribute (nor even make, as far as I know) Linux drivers. However, a company called Linuxant does, but they are not free. They do have a "trial" version of their drivers, but it limits connection speeds, to 14.4 Kbps, I think.

Anyway, if you insist on using this modem... Open up KPPP and Configure > Modems > (choose modem) > Edit > Modem > Query modem. What does this do?
          For external use only.

Comment

one old guy to another.. get rid of the winmodems and get a hardware modem.
            I purchased a usr hardware modem and it works fine in all Linux versions i have tried.
            (thats a lot of versions).
            If your system has a serial port then you can get an external hardware modem and they work well.
            I have 2 Diamond Supra EXpress i use..
            The new systems don't have a serial port , I know i have a pentium D 930 and its all usb,for that i had to buy the USR internal modem.
            Good Luck
            mikeymouse

Comment

Working...
            X