This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems microsoft natural multimedia keyboard

I have kubuntu 7.04 , AMD64 . My Ms. natural multimedia 1.0A (wired) keyboard sorta works, but not all of it works. It types just fine, but I have this row of programmable keys at the top, most of them don't work.
    What does work, there is a cluster in middle that run media player, and they seem to work. the volume on sound, and mute work. There is a key for Mail, It works, I am using Kontact.
    What I want to do, There are keys for my Documents, and My pictures, (microsoft terms). I want them to open Home Folder, and Pictures. Then there is Web/Home I want it to connect my homepage, Marktwain.net by way of firefox. Then I have others that I want to connect other websites, including this kubuntu forum.
    If you want to help, You must assume that I am real nooby. I don't know DOS, and can't hack code. Ol Rod

Re: problems microsoft natural multimedia keyboard

Not knowing DOS is fine here--it's Unix/Linux you need to know. :P

Anyway, K Menu > System > Adept Manager > search for "hotkeys".
    For external use only.

Comment

Yes,OK

Yeah, It was not hard to get in there, Hotkeys were "not installed". I installed it. I can't see that it fixed anything that I wanted. I had searched these forums, someone said get "Keytouch". I did, can't seem to do anything from there. I also downloaded "Lineak" . I hav'nt been to get Lineak to execute, or install. So I still have my problem

Comment

What you do with hotkeys is assign each key an action. Most keys don't get automatically assigned because there is no standard for the signals for extra keys.

I don't know how hotkeys works myself, as I don't have any of those types of keys on my keyboard.
        It probably didn't create an entry in your K Menu, so open Konsole and type "hotkeys --help" for its help message, or "man hotkeys"' for more detailed help. (I'm assuming that the command is "hotkeys". It may not be.)
        For external use only.

Comment

Re:re: microsoft natural multimedia keyboard

Thanks for getting back, SheeEttin, Ok, I got to Konsole, typed "man hotkeys".then went "help" at bottom of black page. What comes up is interesting, but does not address my problem. This "hotkeys" is a long list of things you can do with various combinations of the keys that are on all standard keyboards.
          The keys that I desire to program are in a row above the F-keys.
          So far, my problem is not solved.

Comment

Well, I just installed hotkeys, and it is indeed what you want. You must have misread the man page.

Anyway, execute "hotkeys -l" to see the list of supported keyboards. If yours isn't listed, you can create a custom one.
            However, I don't know how. You'll have to read the documentation, look at the provided configs, and experiment a little to get it working.

(By the way, keytouch is basically the same as hotkeys. Just a different utility.)
            For external use only.

Comment

I had that problem to, did'nt solve all of it but check out:
              http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...?content=63140
              and

http://lineak.sourceforge.net/index.php?nav=download

ReMoot is a command line wrapper for linux multimedia apps like amarok and kaffeine. Together with Lineak/Klineak it makes play/pause, stop, forward, back, volume +- and mute to work as they should on all keyboards.

Comment

Isn't it KMilo the app for extra keys in a keyboard?

Comment

Hi, Boldie; Hi, DMurray. It has been a month since those last posts. I played around with that problem a while, Then just sorta gave up. I came closest to getting what I want with KeyTouchI now have the "My Documents" key to open "Home Folder". And, yes, the only part of the media control that works is "Mute", and volume up and down. Since your post(s), I downloaded that "Remoot", I have printed the readme, See if I can do any thing with that. I will let you know if something works

Comment

Working...
                  X