Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I change the /dev/sdx number of a drive ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I change the /dev/sdx number of a drive ?

Hi there,

I am running Kubuntu, and I have just wiped all my disks clean for a fresh install. However the disks don;t have /dev/sdx numbers to my liking.

I currently have the following disks this is how they appear in the BIOS under Hard Drives.

1st SATA: 250 GB - 1st SATA Master
    2nd SATA: 80GB - 2nd SATA Master
    3rd SATA: 320 GB - 3rd SATA master
    4th SATA: 500 GB 4th SATA Master

They however appear on my computer when I try to install as

/dev/sdc = 250 GB
    /dev/sdd = 80GB
    /dev/sda = 320 GB
    /dev/sdb = 500 GB

However I would like them to look like this.

/dev/sda = 250 GB
    /dev/sdb = 80GB
    /dev/sdc = 320 GB
    /dev/sdd = 500 GB

Does anyone know how to accoplish this without changing the order in the BIOS ? Id like the sdx numbers to match the order in the BIOS.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    C

Re: How do I change the /dev/sdx number of a drive ?

Hmmmm -- I think Linux gets its hard drive information straight from BIOS, although these SATA devices have a lot of the "smarts" in the drives themselves, versus the old-style drive controllers. So I would say you need to (a) connect them to your SATA bus connectors as intelligently as possible (maybe there is a SATA-1 connector, vs. SATA-2 etc.?, and (b) set them up in BIOS the way you want them there, and then you're probably stuck learning to be happy with the way Linux sequences them in /dev. Do some experiments, while there's no data at risk. On my motherboard (Intel D975XBX) I'm pretty sure the SATA connectors are sequentially numbered.

Comment

Originally posted by Christof999
      ...the disks don;t have /dev/sdx numbers to my liking.
      Now that's just being picky! :P

Comment

Of course, if you do move them around, be sure to adjust your fstab and other things accordingly.
        For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
          be sure to adjust your fstab and other things accordingly.
          No, I think he should fiddle with the cable connections to the SATA connectors, and the BIOS sequence, before he even installs Kubuntu. That way, fstab will be written to suit his desires, in the first place!

Comment

Oh, I didn't notice that he said he was going to reinstall.

In that case, yes, do it before you reinstall.
            For external use only.

Comment

I'd like to know how to do this myself give an existing RAID I have is in jeopardy of being toast. I'd like to know why my OS drive is listed as SDA and not HDA, this makes it difficult to move and RAID over where the system was SDA,SDB,SDC,SDD .... for some reason it won't read any of the data on the RAID correctly when mounted. It's strange that it shows in FSTAB as the OS loading on SDA and then in /dev/disks it lists my RAID drives using SDA too, how is this possible?

Comment

Like it was said, other than "moving" connections around to move those names to other drives, the names themselves are set. Devised by the BIOS and Kernel. One reason GRUB uses hd0,x because of the BIOS, but once the kernel comes into play, they are mapped sda, hda or what ever. I know no way of telling the kernel how to "remap" that.

Comment

I think my only chance at saving my raid is to re-install Debian and pray ..... but it is strange that Kubuntu uses only SDA (SCSI from what the installer and /dev say) as the hard drive mapper. Interesting how each distro names the drives.

Comment

That's not Kubuntu, it's the new libATA.
                    It's cause large numbers of problems, including the hda-to-sda thing.
                    For external use only.

Comment

I figured, I'll just pray that I can pull everything of the raid with an old Debian install. Store the data elsewhere and then recreate a fresh raid in Kubuntu.

Now to find a place to store 600gb of data easily.

Comment

Working...
                      X