Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SOLVED dd USB stick windows borked, finding mount point?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED dd USB stick windows borked, finding mount point?

I've got a flash drive that windows totally borked, to the point that it shows up as 0b size (in windows). It had data on it I'd like to recover. My plan is to dd it, then I can get back to using it while trying to recover the data from the image. However, when I connect it to the computer, it lights up, is getting power, but doesn't show up on the desktop, and isn't listed when I run fdisk -l. How do I find out what it's connected as (/dev/something)>? It doesn't show up when I fdisk -l, as I said, nor does it show up under the disk listing in the KDE control center.

Re: dd USB stick windows borked, finding mount point?

For starters:

[sudo] lsusb ; [sudo] hwinfo

(in which the latter tool might require preceding installation, e.g. by sudo apt-get install hwinfo)

Comment

Re: dd USB stick windows borked, finding mount point?

Oh! Thanks! I did hwinfo, and it produced a huge long list I didn't wanna go through. Then I remembered lshw, and did lshw -html > /home/hel/specs.html, with the drive unplugged, and lshw -html > /home/hel/specs1.html with the drive plugged in, then diffed them, and found the drive! Thanks a bunch, cos I'd have never remembered lshw if not for doing hwinfo!

Comment

Working...
      X