This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant get num lock to stick

I installed numlockx with apt-get and if if execute numlockx on it turns num lock on. During booting the numlock is on but it turns off just before the Nvidia splash screen appears. I tried the solution at http://www.penguin.ch/dokuwiki/doku....numlock#keypad but that did not work. Any suggestions it is very frustrating. Thanks

Re: Cant get num lock to stick

O.k., then how about "Plan B":

In the original Control Center's according module,
    to be accessed by [Alt][F2] kcmshell keyboard,
    (re-)set NumLock on Start-Up to ON.

Comment

Kmenu > System Settings > Keyboard & Mouse > "Turn On" in "Numlock on KDE Startup"

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        System Settings
        Pshaw!

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornRider

Pshaw!

Comment

No combination of num lock on/off/unchanged in the KDE setup worked. Thanks anyway. Any other suggestions?

Comment

You will have to edit the file /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsetup and add the following lines to it:

Code:
              if [ -x /usr/bin/numlockx ] ; then
               /usr/bin/numlockx on
              fi
              Remember to edit the file as root, since otherwise you won't be able to save your changes.

So, either:
              • Run the command sudo kate (or whichever text editor you want to use) from a command-line console;
              or:
              • Hit <Alt>+<F2> to call up the "Run Command" window;
              • Type kate (or whichever text editor you want to use) for the command;
              • Tick Options >>;
              • Select the Run as a different user option, specify root for the user name, and type your own password;
              • Tick Run.

Now, open the file (i.e., /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsetup), add the lines shown above to it, and save your changes.

Comment

Thanks dibl, I had this also but was to ashamed to ask.
                Dell SC1425<br />1 Xeon 3GHZ CPU<br />1GB ECC-DDR2 RAM<br />Onboard ATI Radeon 7000-M&nbsp; w/ 16MB Fixed/unshared RAM<br />Dual 82541Gl Gigabit Nic&#39;s<br />DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo<br />73GB SCSI Drive.<br />Never got Compiz to run properly on the ATI, but that is secondary of course.

Comment

Working...
                X