X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CUPS issue with Lexmark Z25

Hi

With grateful thanks to others, I have managed to get a Lexmark Z25 printer working with Feisty. Prints beautifully.

However, I can only do one print job and thereafter it stops working. This is fixed by re-booting whereupon I can do 1 more print job and then I have to reboot again etc.etc.etc. Switching off/unplugging the printer does
    not make a jot of difference.

I suspect that this have more to do with CUPS than the printer itself. Is there a bug which might be doing this or is there a command i can run so that I can monitor what is going on?

One final point - with my PC, a Dell Inspiron 630m laptop I have a similar sort of problem with optical USB mice where the mouse will work for a while on 1st plugin and shortly thereafter stop. It may then be several days before it will work again (again for a short time) although other USB hardware including USB trackball Mice, CD Burners, Flash drives work fine. The mouse issue applies in Windows too. That has me wondering whether my USB ports are simply delivering insufficient power to enable the printer/mouse to work for anything other than a short period. Anyone else any experience of this?

Thanks

Ian

Re: CUPS issue with Lexmark Z25

Originally posted by The Liquidator
    so that I can monitor what is going on
    You may want to take a closer look at the contents of /var/log/cups
    (and raise the LogLevel specified in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to debug).

Comment

Hi

Thanks Unicornrider.

The /var/log/cups error log file gives multiple repeats of the following message

E [31/May/2007:22:52:45 +0100] Unable to accept client connection - Too many open files

Then 1 instance of:

E [31/May/2007:23:22:47 +0100] cupsdReadClient: Unable to write 10595 bytes to /var/spool/cups/00000002: Bad file descriptor

Then (following reboot I think) I got the following message

E [31/May/2007:23:24:13 +0100] Creating missing directory "/var/run/cups/certs"

I think that last one was created when it successfully printed. I have just checked and the directory referred to is there.

Any idea what may be causing this?

Thanks

Ian

Comment

Having rebooted, the certs folder is still there. user cupsys, owner lpadmin.

As a user, I am a member of the lpadmin group.

Have gone into the cups/cupsd.conf file and made the entry.

We'll see what happens.

Ian

Comment

Hi Unicornrider

OK. I've just tried to print 2 copies of a 1 page document, but as 2 separate jobs.

I would have posted the output of the error log in /var/log/cups but for some reason that totally defeats me I am unable to copy and paste its contents using either Kate or kwrite.

Would it be OK if I sent you the file?

Thanks

ian

Comment

It's probably read-only to you, and some moronic feature of Kate/Kwrite prevents all interaction with read-only files.
            You can attach it to a post instead.
            For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
              Unable to accept client connection - Too many open files
              http://www.linux.ie/lists/pipermail/...er/085303.html (?)

Comment

Hmm

The advice at that link is in 2 parts. The first bit is to turn off root certification which has stopped error messages. However, the poblem is still there (only I'm no longer told about it).

The second bit is about increasing the number of open pages within /etc/sysctl.conf. However, that file seems to be about internet, referring to IPV4 et al. so I'm stumped.

Latest error message is as below. Any clues? Thanks

E [11/Jun/2007:22:32:23 +0100] Unable to create job status pipes - Too many open files.
                D [11/Jun/2007:22:32:23 +0100] Discarding unused job-completed event...
                D [11/Jun/2007:22:32:23 +0100] Discarding unused printer-state-changed event...
                D [11/Jun/2007:22:32:23 +0100] cupsdProcessIPPRequest: 1023 status_code=0 (successful-ok)
                D [11/Jun/2007:22:32:24 +0100] Unloading job 47...
                D [11/Jun/2007:22:32:44 +0100] Discarding unused printer-state-changed event...
                D [11/Jun/2007:22:32:47 +0100] cupsdCloseClient: 1023
                D [11/Jun/2007:22:33:14 +0100] Discarding unused printer-state-changed event...
                D [11/Jun/2007:22:33:44 +0100] Discarding unused printer-state-changed event...
                D [11/Jun/2007:22:34:15 +0100] Discarding unused printer-state-changed event...
                D [11/Jun/2007:22:34:45 +0100] Discarding unused printer-state-changed event...
                D [11/Jun/2007:22:35:15 +0100] Discarding unused printer-state-changed event...
                D [11/Jun/2007:22:35:45 +0100] Discarding unused printer-state-changed event...

Comment

Further info

Here is the info contained in the knotify catastrophe dialog box.

Does this give any better idea?

cupsdoprint -P 'LexmarkZ25' -J 'Docname.pdf' -H '/var/run/cups/cups.sock:631' -o ' copies=1 orientation-requested=3' '/tmp/kde-ian/kpdfDJWGSb.ps' : execution failed with message:
                  client-error-request-value-too-long

Thanks

Ian

Further - I am able to administer my printers by accessing Cups at http://localhost:631/. Interestingly whilst that takes me to the cups page, attempting to perform any tasks (configuring etc) throws up a "404 Not found" error, which I imagine means that CUPs has crashed? Must start asking myself now whether it is the printer that is doing it!

Comment

No, it means that the server can't find the file you requested.

I'm not sure what would cause it, but I guess you could try removing and reinstalling CUPS.

In Adept, search for "cupsys", and right-click > Purge. Apply changes, reboot if you feel like it'll help, then install cupsys.
                    For external use only.

Comment

No, that's not fixed it either. Shame though, because on the one print job it does per boot, it prints great

As it's my home laptop and I don't print much it's probably not critical. I will try another printer (an HP which has worked in the past) which ought to tell me whether it's an issue with this printer specifically. As it's officially a CUPS Paperweight I suppose I should be glad it works at all

Will test another over the weekend and advise. If that works I imagine the right thing to do will be to view this post concluded.

Thanks for the help.

Ian

Comment

Working...
                      X