Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preventing a soundcard from being detected (Kubuntu Feisty)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preventing a soundcard from being detected (Kubuntu Feisty)

Ok, the problem is simple. I have two sound cards. One onboard, and a SoundBlaster Audigy SE. The onboard sound is toast (which is why I have the other one)>

I was able to configure ALSA to output to the correct sound card (the audigy). Sound plays. All is well on that.

However, the keyboard shortcuts are still bound to the other sound card (the onboard). When I open up Kmix I can see the volume controls moving up and down on the onboard sound card. I'd really like them to be linked to the one that is used. So I see two possible solutions, neither of which as a linux newbie I have a clue how to do.

1) Remove the other sound card from being detected all together. I don't use it, will never use it, and have no need for it. I can only assume at that point the keyboard controls would work on the only sound card that the system would see, the audigy.
    2) Change the key bindings to control the correct card. Again, no clue at all how to even look into this.

Spent a few hours searching on the internet to find the info on switching the sound cards. The keyboard binding problem I can't find a viable solution for so I beseech you all for help.

EDIT: Additional problem. When I control the volume for the correct mixer (the audigy volume control in kmix) it seems to operate exponentially as opposed to linear. If the volume isn't almost exactly at the middle it's either peaking out, or it can't be heard. Ideas anyone?

Re: Preventing a soundcard from being detected (Kubuntu Feisty)

You should disable the onboard sound in your bios. Then when you boot up, it won't be detected.

Comment

A far more simple solution than I had thought would be possible. Unfortunately, now my volume control goes from 0% to 10%, no higher. And it still doesn't control the proper sound card. Only now, it controls nothing.

Comment

In KMix, in the upper right, make sure the proper sound card is selected.

I did two things with my onboard sound to keep it from interfering with my PCI card: I blacklisted it (as described in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=4284, but perhaps you can also blacklist it in etc/modprobe.d) and I set the priorities of my sound cards using "options ...[soundcard]... index=0" and "options ...[soundcard]... index=1" (e.g. as described in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ia/+bug/108187).

Comment

Re: ...soundcard detection on Acer laptops (Kubuntu Feisty)

I have Kubuntu FF 64 bits installed in an Acer laptop (5043) but have no sound at all. I guess it has to do with the version (64 bits) since volume control is working and some other things seem to be the way it should (controls not "grey", seeming functional!?). However no sound comes out at all (music, videos, system "dings"... none).
          Any clues about how can I fix this?
          Thanks!

PS: in Ubuntu 7.0.4 32 bits it also doesn't work. Somehow this card is not a good friend of (K)Ubuntu:
          Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SB450 HDA Audio (rev 01)
          Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Unknown device 0080
          Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
          Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
          Capabilities: <access denied>
          Poseidon GNU/Linux 64 & 32 bits
          GNU/Linux user #451206
          (K)Ubuntu user #21328

Comment

Working...
          X