This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

libdvdcss?

Is libdvdcss needed to play encrypted DVD's and if so how can it be added? I still can't play encrypted DVD's and it appears that libdvdcss is needed.

Re: libdvdcss?

I believe we now call it "libdvdread" and it's available in the Medibuntu repositories. Yes, libdvdcss (included in libdvdread) IS required. This is because DVDs are encoded with CSS encryption to prevent reading as a block device. DeCSS, DVD Jon's work, is essentially the main part of libdvdcss and breaks that encryption so as to be read without a commercial decoder.

Essentially, without a method of breaking CSS encryption you cannot play any encrypted DVD.
    Just a fox, a whisper.

Comment

OK. I have libdvdread installed. I tried playing Fletch. The movie starts and after about ten seconds I get this:

the source can't be read.
      Maybe you don't have enough rights for this, or source doesn't contain data (e.g: no disc in drive). (Error reading NAV packet.)

Comment

I should have mentioned that the install of libdvdcss was from a separate package.

Looking at how some other distros have things setup, libdvdcss is not part of libdvdread, it is a separate package. I would assume that this is the case in Kubuntu. If so, how does one install libdvdcss in Kubuntu? What repository would have this?

Comment

Medibuntu: http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/

(Site very slow at time of posting)

Comment

Originally posted by gman
            I should have mentioned that the install of libdvdcss was from a separate package.

Looking at how some other distros have things setup, libdvdcss is not part of libdvdread, it is a separate package. I would assume that this is the case in Kubuntu. If so, how does one install libdvdcss in Kubuntu? What repository would have this?
            Not really, it's an incorrect assumption. libdvdcss at least to all my experimentation contains libdvdcss for Ubuntu/Kubuntu. Add the medibuntu repositories then install the libdvdcss repository, then make SURE that your media player is pointed at those libraries for DVD playback.

I had the same issue with Kaffeine, this is the way I got it solved. You could also try using VLC which has all the codecs built in. If VLC works and something else doesn't then you can be sure it's a library issue. If it doesn't work then you know it's not a library issue and instead is something else.

Always remember to exhaust every possibility when troubleshooting Linux.
            Just a fox, a whisper.

Comment

Working...
            X