X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't play DVDs (Movies)

I get the following message when I try to open a DVD in Kaffeine

The source can't be read.
    Maybe you don't have enough rights for this, or source doesn't contain data (e.g: no disc in drive). (Error reading from DVD.)

I know the DVD drive is operating properly. I can open the DVD movie disc, data DVD disc on DVD+-R and DVD-+RW.

Re: Can't play DVDs (Movies)

I should add that I was able to play the DVD in Kaffeine in Vector Linux. I did receive this same error in MEPIS.

Comment

This seems to be a recurring problem.
      I'm not sure what causes it, because in the case of everyone else who had this problem, permissions were not the issue. Nor was the disc itself.

I think it's safe to chalk it up to the new libata, but as for a solution... I'm stumped.
      If anyone on the forum knows how to get it working, I sincerely hope they will post here. (With the solution, of course.)
      For external use only.

Comment

This might sound nuts but have you tried loading up an ISO of the DVD? You'd more than likely need to use something like K9Copy to do that but if possible see if that works. If there's the same problem then it's probably not a device interface issue, I'd wager more on a codec incompatibility.

But that's just a wild idea.
        Just a fox, a whisper.

Comment

I tried ripping Fletch and I get an error that I cannot copy an encrypted DVD.

I am just stumped? I guess for now I will have to dual boot into Windows to watch DVDs and use Linux for everything else...

Comment

After you downloaded liddvdread3 did you enable it? Copy this into Konqueror's address bar.

help:/kubuntu/musicvideophotos/video.html#dvdplayback
            ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Hmm... I don't have a /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/examples directory.
              For external use only.

Comment

Working...
              X