This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadcom Wi-Fi and Live CD

Hi, I would like to use Kubuntu on my laptop, but before I do I would need to know that my w-fi would work. I have a n HP Compaq nc6120, and it has a Broadcom BCM4306KFB Wi-Fi controller.

Kubuntu detects the controller, but no networks are detected, and it won't let me manually connect to one, either. Also, the LED for the wireless does not light up (which when I tried it in 6.06 it did, but I still had the same problem).

Is W-Fi support disabled when running from the live CD, or do I have to use a workaround to get that controller to work? If I have to use a workaround, could someone please tell me what it is?

Thanks.

Re: Broadcom Wi-Fi and Live CD

The broadcom 4306 works, but it is fiddly. I recommend using ndiswrapper, but you can use the kernel driver as well. It will work best if you can use a wired connection while you set up your wireless. There are several good howtos. Search here and at ubuntuforums. Good luck.

Comment

Ok, thank you very much. I really hope I can get it working.

Comment

Well, I am having trouble with the instructions I used. I used the ones here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...roadcom+54mbps

The problem is that it Wlan0 won't show up in the network control panel, and I have restarted several times.

Comment

My broadcom cards NEVER show up as wlan0. Check out eth1. Do the following

iwconfig

See if you have eth1. If so, go ahead and follow the instructions substituting eth1 for wlan0. If you want you card to be recognized as wlan0, you can fix that. Find the mac address for your card by using iwconfig or ifconfig and then edit /etc/iftab. If there is an entry for eth1 (or whatever your card is showing up as) comment it out. Then add a line like this:
          ----------------
          # This file assigns persistent names to network interfaces.
          # See iftab(5) for syntax.

eth0 mac 00:0e:7b:4f:7b:74 arp 1
          # ath0 mac 00:11:f5:59:f6:21 arp 1
          wlan0 mac 00:11:f5:59:f6:21 arp 1
          ----------------------

Then you may need to restart networking with:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

Give that a shot. If you can't get it, post the results of ifconfig and iwconfig and/or any errors you are getting.

Comment

eth1 doesn't exist either, it disappeared after I tried the tutorial. The only interface listed is the twisted pair port (eth0) (which is also a broadcom chipset)

Comment

What do you get when you type:

ndiswrapper -l

Let's start with that and walk through. Something is missing.

Comment

Hi,

I am having the same kind of problem, and I have provided some of my configurations in the newbies post

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...pic=3082856.15

So I am intersted in following the analysis and fixing of the problem.

Cheers

Comment

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but the result I get is:

miroku@shippo512:~$ ndiswrapper -l
                  bcmwl5 : driver installed
                  device (14E4:4320) present (alternate driver: bcm43xx)
                  miroku@shippo512:~$

Comment

I went ahead and followed the steps here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=25683

but no luck. I hate to just ignore your work, but I am going to try a reinstall, I have read that once these networds get messed up it can be real hard to fix, and unfortunately I am a bit impatient. I really appreciate the help so far, though.

Comment

OK, good luck.

Comment

Working...
                      X