This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

linux-restricted-modules, nvidia kernel module problem

I needed to build a custom kernel with usb_suspend disabled, to make my scanner work (bug #85488). I did this following the instructions at https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KernelCustomBuild.

I successfully built and installed a new kernel using the "old-fashioned debian way" (!), then moved on to linux-restricted modules, since I run the nvidia binary driver.

After installing the packages as instructed, I searched for the appropriate lines in debian/rules, but my kernel name (2.6.20.3-ubuntu1-bol) didn't seem to match the form given there (2.6.19-7-ref-generic) ... and I didn't like the sound of all that flavours stuff much either - I just want to build for the running kernel!

So, I noticed that the source for the nvidia kernel module is present in /usr/src now, "nvidia-new-kernel-source.tar.gz", so I unpacked it, which produced a /usr/src/modules directory. In there is /usr/src/modules/nvidia-new-kernel/nv/Makefile, which I ran, after reading /usr/src/modules/nvidia-new-kernel/nv/README, as "make module", which worked fine, then "make install" which didn't, producing a message about being unable to install the kernel module after a while.

Now, the odd thing is that there is a /lib/modules/2.6.20.3-ubuntu1-bol/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko. If I "insmod nvidia.ko" that module, the nvidia X server is able to start successfully. If I try "modprobe nvidia", though, it complains that the module has not been installed.

So, at startup, the X server doesn't start, because the nvidia kernel module "could not be loaded". If I log in on a text console, insmod the module then restart kdm, the X server starts fine.

What do I need to do to make the module able to load "automatically" via modprobe?

Alternatively, what's the One True Way to build (against modified kernel headers) and install linux-restricted-modules in Kubuntu 7.04?

Re: linux-restricted-modules, nvidia kernel module problem

"make install" needs to be done as root. Was it?
    For external use only.

Comment

Re: linux-restricted-modules, nvidia kernel module problem

Hi, and thanks for the reply ... yes, commands were executed as root (using e.g. "sudo make install")

Output of "sudo make module" (in build.log) and "sudo make install" (install.log) attached.
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X