This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved; kind of] screen resolution problem: can't get right settings back

Hi I just bought a 22" widescreen for my PC but since windows crashed I tested it on my Compaq Presario notebook running feisty fawn. I played around with the resolution a bit and everything seemed fine, but since I unplugged the external screen my laptop resolution settings are screwed. It is stuck on a very low resolution (640 x 400) and I can not select the right resolution (which i think is 1280 x 800).

To make matters worse I messed around with the xconf.conf file, now I can just use command line... How can I restore the backup file from command line and how can I make sure I have the right resolution again? It was detected right when I installed Kubuntu, so it should/can work fine.

Re: screen resolution problem: can't get right settings back

Maybe this helps:

Topic: HOWTO : Disaster Recovery and xorg.conf
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082808.0
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

In short: "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"
      For external use only.

Comment

It doesn't seem to work, apparently I'm answering one of the questions wrong...
        Also no luck in trying to replace xserver-xorg with a backup file, so i guess it will be a reintall...

Comment

You are, of course, selecting the resolutions you want?
          For external use only.

Comment

Hmm, "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" did not work? That has been my savior. Have you told it to write to default configuration when it asks?

Comment

Yes I did select the resolutions I wanted, even double checked if they were the right ones, but after reboot it still went to command line. It did show the Kubuntu splash screen before it went to command line, but I don't know if that's normal or not.

Anyway, I went for a reinstall, luckily I have my /home on a separate partition. I figured it would solve the problem faster that way, maybe not as nice though. Thanks for the help though!

You might be happy to know that I wasn't discouraged using Kubuntu: I replaced windows on my PC with Kubuntu too works like a charm!

Comment

Re: [solved; kind of] screen resolution problem: can't get right settings back

So, it's working now?
                For external use only.

Comment

Re: [solved; kind of] screen resolution problem: can't get right settings back

Yes it is, thanks for asking. No problems after reinstalling Kubuntu. To be honest I didn't expect any problems here because it worked fine before until I started fiddling with my settings...

Comment

Working...
                  X