Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1280x1024 Resolution: NVIDIA card on an AMD Athlon 64 Box.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1280x1024 Resolution: NVIDIA card on an AMD Athlon 64 Box.

First: thank you for reading my post.

I have Kubuntu Feisty running on an AMD Athlon 64 and a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS card. My Monitor is a flat panel HP L717g. I've installed Automatix2 and got the NVIDIA drivers through it, and I modified the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with KATE to have my preferred resolution as follows:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "nVidia Corporation G70 [GeForce 7600 GS]"
    Driver "nvidia"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "nVidia Corporation G70 [GeForce 7600 GS]"
    Monitor "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 1
    Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 4
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 8
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 15
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection
    But after restarting X (CTRL+ALT+Backspace) or just plain rebooting the resolution will not change to 1280x1024 but stays at 1024x768. Going to "System Settings > Monitor and Display" doesn't help: The max resolution allowed is 1024x768. And going to "System > NVIDIA Settings > XServer Display Configuration > Monitor Resolution" offers a max resolution of 1280x800.
    I had previously Kubuntu Edgy and PCLinuxOS TR3 on this same box and I had not trouble getting 1280x1024 on my screen after modifying etc/X11/xorg.conf . I don't know how to go about it now.

Again, thanks for reading this post, and I will greatly appreciate any help.
    Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought! In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the bootmaker. <br /> -Mikhail Bakunin-, &quot;God and the State&quot;

Re: 1280x1024 Resolution: NVIDIA card on an AMD Athlon 64 Box.

When you open the Nvidia driver utility, what version of the driver does it say it is using?

Comment

Thanks for the reply,
      When I open the NVIDIA Driver Utility it says:
      NVIDIA Driver Version: 1.0-9755
      Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought! In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the bootmaker. <br /> -Mikhail Bakunin-, &quot;God and the State&quot;

Comment

OK, well, that's not what I was hoping to hear -- you do have the latest Nvidia driver, and it sounds like it is installed correctly.

About the only thing left to twiddle is the monitor designation. I don't know whether, in the Nvidia driver utility, under the Xserver Display Configuration, you can do a "Detect" and have it check out the capabilities of your HP L717G. Apparently the Nvidia driver thinks it can't go higher than what you have, but apparently it can, based on your prior experience.

Does the "Monitor" section of your xorg.conf show the model, and do you have "DPMS" enabled. Here's what mine looks like -- maybe this could make a difference for you:

Code:
        Section "Monitor"
          # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
          Identifier   "Monitor0"
          VendorName   "Unknown"
          ModelName   "Samsung SyncMaster"
          HorizSync    30.0 - 130.0
          VertRefresh   50.0 - 160.0
          Option     "DPMS"
        EndSection
        I don't know what would happen if I changed to use the "edid" detecting capability -- I hate to mess with mine since it works as-is.

Comment

I'm having the same problem with an old Compaq running Xubuntu, starting it up on a live 6.06 CD gives me the 1280x1024 resolution, even copying the live CD's xorg.conf into the installed 7.04 does not make the resolution go up from 1024x768 to this value.
          This happened with the update from 6.10 to 7.04

Comment

This is what the monitor section of etc/X11/xorg.config looks like:

Section "Monitor"
            Identifier "Generic Monitor"
            HorizSync 28.0 - 51.0
            VertRefresh 43.0 - 60.0
            Option "DPMS"
            EndSection
            The DPMS is apparently enabled...
            From the "System > NVIDIA Settings > XServer Display Configuration" I can do a "Detect Displays" but it doesn't seem to have an effect. Also, there is an "Advanced" option next to "Detect Displays", when you click on it you have the ability to change the value on "Panning" from 1024x768" to "1280x1024", but again, it wont change anything...
            now, this may have nothing to do with it, but I thought I should mention it: I have the monitor plugged into a KVM switch. The monitor has an analog and a Digital connection, but because of the KVM switch I'm using the analog.

Thanks again for the reply!

Comment

Just in case, here's the complete /etc/X11/xorg.conf file:

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
              # nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder3) Mon Feb 26 23:38:46 PST 2007

# /etc/X11/xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
              #
              # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
              # values from the debconf database.
              #
              # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf(5) manual page.
              # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
              #
              # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
              # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
              # package.
              #
              # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
              # again, run the following command:
              # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "ServerLayout"
              Identifier "Default Layout"
              Screen "Default Screen" 0 0
              InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
              InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
              InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
              InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
              InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
              EndSection

Section "Files"

# path to defoma fonts
              FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
              FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
              FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
              FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
              FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
              FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
              FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
              FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
              EndSection

Section "Module"
              Load "i2c"
              Load "bitmap"
              Load "ddc"
              Load "extmod"
              Load "freetype"
              Load "glx"
              Load "int10"
              Load "vbe"
              EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
              Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
              Driver "kbd"
              Option "CoreKeyboard"
              Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
              Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
              Option "XkbLayout" "us"
              EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
              Identifier "Configured Mouse"
              Driver "mouse"
              Option "CorePointer"
              Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
              Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
              Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
              Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
              EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
              Identifier "stylus"
              Driver "wacom"
              Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
              Option "Type" "stylus"
              Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLY
              EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
              Identifier "eraser"
              Driver "wacom"
              Option "Type" "eraser"
              EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
              Identifier "cursor"
              Driver "wacom"
              Option "Type" "cursor"
              EndSection

Section "Monitor"
              Identifier "Generic Monitor"
              HorizSync 28.0 - 51.0
              VertRefresh 43.0 - 60.0
              Option "DPMS"
              EndSection

Section "Device"
              Identifier "nVidia Corporation G70 [GeForce 7600 GS]"
              Driver "nvidia"
              EndSection

Section "Screen"
              Identifier "Default Screen"
              Device "nVidia Corporation G70 [GeForce 7600 GS]"
              Monitor "Generic Monitor"
              DefaultDepth 24
              SubSection "Display"
              Depth 1
              EndSubSection
              SubSection "Display"
              Depth 4
              EndSubSection
              SubSection "Display"
              Depth 8
              EndSubSection
              SubSection "Display"
              Depth 15
              EndSubSection
              SubSection "Display"
              Depth 16
              EndSubSection
              SubSection "Display"
              Depth 24
              EndSubSection
              EndSection

Comment

RESOLVED

Resolved at last!

The answer is right there on the text at the beginning of the xorg.conf file:

# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
                # again, run the following command:
                # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
                I opened a terminal and pasted the command as indicated

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
                It took me to a configuration screen, asking first what kind of drivers I needed. I chose NVIDIA and then it took me to choose desired resolutions. I only added 1280x1024. There were no more screens after that. I reopened "System > NVIDIA Settings > XServer Display Configuration > Monitor Resolution" and chose 1280x1024 and Bingo!, it was done, and it was good.

Thanks again for the replies. The Linux community has no pair anywhere.

Comment

Just as I was about to suggest that, I read the last post and you've solved it yourself.
                  By the way, you can leave out the "-phigh". It causes only high-priority questions to be asked. I'm not sure what it does with the questions it doesn't ask (perhaps guess--not the best solution).
                  For external use only.

Comment

I just installed 7.04 last night, and ran into the same problem. I too have an AMD Athlon 64 and a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS card, and am interested in knowing if there's a fix for this yet. If not, I'll put up with 1024*768 for now, I guess, especially as Kubuntu doesn't list my Syncmaster 940B monitor among its dozens of recognised Syncmaster models.
                    Victoria concordia crescit<br />ओ पालन्हारे ... तुम्रे बिन हम्र कौनोन नहीं

Comment

Originally posted by maxqnz
                      Kubuntu doesn't list my Syncmaster 940B monitor among its dozens of recognised Syncmaster models.
                      Don't worry about that -- it doesn't list my SyncMaster 1100MB either, and it's running a beautiful 1600x1200 screen right now, on my Nvidia GeF 7900 GS. The key is to get the Nvidia driver installed correctly -- the monitor will do what it's told.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                        Kubuntu doesn't list my Syncmaster 940B monitor among its dozens of recognised Syncmaster models.
                        Don't worry about that -- it doesn't list my SyncMaster 1100MB either, and it's running a beautiful 1600x1200 screen right now, on my Nvidia GeF 7900 GS. The key is to get the Nvidia driver installed correctly -- the monitor will do what it's told.

Good to know. I lost my graphical boot last night on my abortive attempt to sue Adept to install an nvidia driver. I guess I picked the wrong one.

Comment

I guess I picked the wrong one.
                          You want 2 and ONLY 2 packages, if you're doing it with Adept:

Code:
                          linux-restricted-modules-[your kernel here]
                          , and
                          Code:
                          nvidia-glx-new
                          Don't have any other nvidia packages installed, or it will snarf up. To be safe, you might want to first convert your display to a VESA display, using
                          Code:
                          sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
                          choosing "no" on the first screen and "VESA" on the second screen, and then while in VESA mode go hunting for nvidia packages and have Adept remove them all.

The alternative approach is to download and install Envy, and use that to install the Nvidia driver, because it will do the necessary housekeeping work to remove any unneeded or conflicting files. It can be found here

http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

The alternative approach is to download and install Envy, and use that to install the Nvidia driver, because it will do the necessary housekeeping work to remove any unneeded or conflicting files. It can be found here

http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

HTH
                            I can't seem to get it from there. I tried downloading the .deb and that failed, so then i tried selecting "install" from the package manager in the right click menu, but that failed to - "no such file". Anywhere else I can get it?

Comment

OK, so I managed to find and install Envy (after first discovering I needed to install a bunch of other packages before Envy would go in). I ran it, rebooted, and - no X. here's what I got when I typed startx from the login screen:
                              http://maxqnzs.com/screenshots/Image2.jpg

I would be pathetically and profoundly grateful for advice on how to fix this and get my X back, preferably with a fully-operational nvidia driver.

Comment

Working...
                              X