This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommended Printer?

Any especially recommended printers for light, general, home use? I'm told that multi-purpose (print, copy, scan, fax) printers will often only work with linux in one mode, such as print or scan. Is there a relatively inexpensive printer with decent driver that will work well in all modes?

Re: Recommended Printer?

I did a google for Linux compatible printers, and found this.

http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/O...gestedPrinters

Hope it helps.
    Dell SC1425<br />1 Xeon 3GHZ CPU<br />1GB ECC-DDR2 RAM<br />Onboard ATI Radeon 7000-M&nbsp; w/ 16MB Fixed/unshared RAM<br />Dual 82541Gl Gigabit Nic&#39;s<br />DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo<br />73GB SCSI Drive.<br />Never got Compiz to run properly on the ATI, but that is secondary of course.

Comment

I setup a Brother MFC-210C recently and have all functions Scan/Print/FAX thanks to Brother supplying Linux drivers at their website and some how tos here and there on the net. They are fairly inexpensive and work very well. You can get them at OfficeMax, Office Depot and various other places. (Purchased mine refurbished at Fry's for $35 after my rebate.)

Brother supports Linux very well and will help you when you have a problem. There is also plenty of Linux users like myself who use theses Brother all in one units and can help as well.

I would seriously consider one of these units if you really want an all in one device.

Comment

Neat. Next time I need a printer, I'll check out Brother.
        Currently, though, it's just printing to an HP printer through Samba... not the best way.
        For external use only.

Comment

I have a HP PSC 1350 all in one. Solid. Everything works great. You can't go wrong with HP. These styles of printers are usually fairly cheap too.
          ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

epson also supports opensource with their drivers. I have always used epson with no trouble. you need epcutils and mtink which are not installed by default for the printer tools, i.e. cleaning print heads, print nozzle test pattern, ink level, align print head.
            charlie
            I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Comment

HP made a lot of work and gave a lot of support to make their printers work with Linux.

I would check the cartdridges' price and look at reviews to see how many pages you can print with one cartdridge and see if you can change the colors separately.

It's the ink that cost more that Chanel No5.

Comment

I use an Epson CX-6600. I mostly just use it for printing. That was simple since the drivers are already there. I did have the scanner working in edgy, however since I don't use it very often, I have not tried it in feisty.

Mike
                http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by bootdoc
                  epson also supports opensource with their drivers. I have always used epson with no trouble. you need epcutils and mtink which are not installed by default for the printer tools, i.e. cleaning print heads, print nozzle test pattern, ink level, align print head.
                  charlie
                  Bootdoc, I have an Epson C79 printer, installed as a C68. Printing with no problems so far (I would say even faster than on windoze). I could not get the tools you mention to work so I am blind with ink levels and the like. The epscutils keeps asking that it needs a raw device, while the mtink shows me a list of printers where neither the C79 nor the C68 is show. I select from the list and get bogus information, as well as a "freezed" old X-style window. Even tried via sudo, to no avail.
                  I read about some drivers from EPSON, but it seems they are for 32bit linux... I have Kubuntu Feisty AMD64 (and very happy with it, except from this printing issue...)
                  Any suggestions??
                  Thanks in advance, Willy.

Comment

I have an HP Officejet 5610 that is a MP printer/copier/fax/scanner and all the functions work perfectly in Kubuntu/Ubuntu thanks to the HPLIP Toolbox that comes preinstalled under Kubuntu.

I want to support companies that make Linux support a priority and HP seems to be doing this very well. HPLIP software is available for most any Linux system these days, and Kubuntu has it all setup and ready to use in Feisty.

Comment

Originally posted by eriefisher
                      I have a HP PSC 1350 all in one. Solid. Everything works great. You can't go wrong with HP. These styles of printers are usually fairly cheap too.
                      Nothing more to be said....
                      Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon - Registered Linux User--&gt; # 15709

Comment

Working...
                      X