Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to teach KDE's USB automounter to deal with USB NTFS drive?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to teach KDE's USB automounter to deal with USB NTFS drive?

I've got an external USB hard disk, partitioned with NTFS. I'm of course running Feisty, and I've successfully installed NTFS-3G and supporting software using Adept (including fuse, etc.)

I can manually mount my volume from the command line with no problem using "sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/<device name> <mount point>" and use the drive.

However, I would like KDE's media daemon/automounter to mount this volume when I plug it in.

I have found the UUID of the external drive using vol_id, and added an entry in /etc/fstab like this:
    Code:
    UUID=A270A5AA70A5861F /media/extusbdrive ntfs-3g      defaults,umask=007,gid=46,force,noauto  0    0
    where /media/extusbdrive is a directory I created.

However, this does not seem to make any difference to the KDE automounter, and plugging in the drive doesn't result in it getting mounted. Where are the rules/database for KDE's mounting daemon stored? How can I tell it how to handle this device?

Thank you.

Re: How to teach KDE's USB automounter to deal with USB NTFS drive?

Next time you mount it, open up Konqueror and go to media:/. Find the drive, right-click it, go to "Mounting", and select "Mount automatically".
    For external use only.

Comment

Well, I found the System Settings -> Disk & Filesystems panel, but even after I add the mount point, etc. to the entry for my external drive, I find I have to manually "Enable" and "Disable" it to get it mounted. The dialog box that pops up when I plug in the drive still doesn't know how to mount the drive.

If I mount it using the Disks & Filesystems panel and then try to unmount the volume by right-clicking the mount point in Konqueror, I get an error from HAL that the device is not in the .hal-mtab file. So I suppose this question is more about how to tell HAL what to do with the volume (and is there some kind of GUI to configure the HAL behavior/options)?

Help would still be appreciated.

Addendum: I read SheeEttin's post, and this did not work for me. I even tried removing the entries in the Disks & Filesystems panel, and commenting out the entry in /etc/fstab (I didn't reboot after the /etc/fstab entry change, though) with no change in auto-mounting behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
        Next time you mount it, open up Konqueror and go to media:/. Find the drive, right-click it, go to "Mounting", and select "Mount automatically".

I don't have the option for "Mounting" when I right-click my mounted USB drive in the media:/ folder. I started Konqueror with root permissions.

Comment

Working...
        X