This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Display Card Compatiabilty issue?

OK, due to a bad update on my wife's Window$ system, she wanted me to install Feisty. All did great from the Live CD (the partition tool did way better that the first time I tried it in Dapper). All is well except for some display issues and I can't seem to find any information. Basically I had to edit menu.lst to add VGA=792 to get the Shutdown Splash to half way perform correctly. Also Beryl behaves very badly. This is a very low end machine, so I really don't expect much, but just want to know if anyone may have clues to further "enhance" this machine. It runs way faster on Feisty than it did on XP! Below are my specs (more interested in the Display Adapter and any known "enhancements":

Dell Inspiron 1000 - Celeron 2.2 GHz
    512 MB RAM
    40 GB HD
    CDRW Drive
    And the problem child Display Adapter is SiS 650L.

Re: Display Card Compatiabilty issue?

Eh, that's not especially low-end. (Low-end is the 500 MHz, 256 MB RAM, and 20 GB hard drive machine running Windows XP I have sitting over there.) Considering that Beryl takes advantage for a whole lot of graphics processing, it's not going to run that great on a machine with onboard graphics.

Anyway, what exactly is your question? If it's improving performance, I suggest turning off eye-candy features.
    For external use only.

Comment

Low end is "in the eye of the beholder".

True enough about the eye candy and that isn't my main concern. It is the functionality of the Boot and Shutdown Splashes, and odd X crashes (more specifically in kinfocenter and click on OpenGL - X crashes and restarts the system). I've stabilized the Splashes a little with the VGA=792 statement, but I don't expect to have to use that on this particular machine. Sure enough I did on the Inspiron 3800 (truely low end - Celeron 600 MHz 800x600 Max res.) but not this one. BIOS was made very limiting so I can't adjust anything in there for the Graphics, so is there any thing that can be done through X? That is my question.

Comment

MoonRise, did you search on that SiS chip over on Ubuntu Forums? I vaguely recall seeing some posts about it a few months back -- I think it was when Edgy was still fairly new.

Comment

I did a little and found a few things but not of any real substance. Truthfully I never have heard of SiS. I never bothered to check that system since it was my wife's and she was happy with it (until another M$ update broke it). I searched the web for SiS as well, and either I didn't phrase the search correctly or there is little about it out there. I'll look again on Ubuntu.

Comment

MoonRise, you could install XFce desktop along with KDE. XFce is not as bloated as KDE (mind you not as nice), but it performs well with less resources giving you more cycles to run applications.

Comment

Or just go with Xubuntu. It's less resource-intensive all around, or so I hear.
              For external use only.

Comment

Yeah, it's nice, and I've tested that before. The I1000 isn't that slow or bad on Kubuntu Feisty. It runs great! It's just that stupid Video Adapter does some quirky things is all. Just wanted some information on it if anyone had it. Anyway, I appreciate the comments. To let you know, my wife loves it and said she really didn't see any differences between it and XP and since she doesn't game, it's perfect!

Comment

Working...
                X