This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cd rom problems

Got into linux with Ubuntu Dapper, then to Edgy, then i decided to check out Kubuntu Edgy so i installed it with synaptic and loved it, installed kde too and loved it more. Upgraded to Feisty and started having problems. My boot up time was around 4-5 minutes, turns out that my lite-on cd burning rom is no longer recognized by kubuntu of by ubuntu for that sake. After unplugging my cd rom my boot up times were back to normal. I also have a dvd burning rom, also lite-on, I have had the same configuration for some time now, so there shouldn't be anything wrong. I could work with only my dvd, but i want both operational.

Any ideas?

Re: Cd rom problems

There is a bug in Feisty's kernel that prevents it from recognising your Liteon CD writer.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s....20/+bug/96826

The work-round is to add the word 'irqpoll' (without quotes) to the kernel line in your /boot/grub/menu.lst file thus:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic root=UUID=48c5a348-eb39-4171-8531-671a49fdb75b ro quiet splash irqpoll

Then Feisty will boot faster, and the Liteon CD burner will be recognised.

Comment

Thank you very much, Robin, i did what you told me and my problem's all solved

Comment

Dunno what's up with all the problems with DVD burners... mine was recognized and Just Worked™. (It's a Lite-On, but it's also SATA.)
        For external use only.

Comment

Working...
        X