X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

funny problem resolution with nvidia

Hello.

I installed today kubuntu 7.04 (i had 6.10 and all works fine).

with "nv" driver all was ok, but if i use "nvidia" (proprietary driver) desktop resolution was set to 640x480. So in hardware i select generic monitor 1280x1024@60hz (i have an acer AL732 that was not in that list). So i select 1280x1024 in settings. Linux ask me to reset. So i reset.

At reboot dektop is 640x480 but rendered in 1280x1024. So i can see only a piece of entire desktop, and if i move mouse cursor on borber, linux move image, so i can see rest of screen. But i was to view all dektop at 1280x1024 and not only some part at 640x480. How can i solve?

I have
    abit nf7
    athlon xp 2400+
    nvidia 6800GT AGP

Re: funny problem resolution with nvidia

I think that it thinks that's how much your monitor can display, so it doesn't display more for fears of damaging the monitor.

Back up /etc/X11/xorg.conf, then run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg". Part of this will reconfigure your monitor settings, specifically, how large it is, the refresh rates, etc. Make sure you choose the 1280x764 resolution when it prompts you, and also make sure you choose the driver you want.
    For external use only.

Comment

thank you

i use that command and i set correct settings for my monitor, but when i reboot, monitor goes black and on keyboard "CAPS LOCK", and SCROLL LOCK led flashing (goes on and after 1 sec turn off, and after 1 sec turn on etc). How can i solve?

Comment

Um... I'm not sure. Exactly when does the screen go black? Is it about when you normally log in, or after you log in?
        For external use only.

Comment

screen goes black before login screen. When i power on my pc, i can see progress bar of kubuntu become full. So i can see for 1/2 sec Nvidia logo, and monitor goes black and CAPS LOCK and SCROLL LOCK led kayboard flashing. If i push any button, nothing change, i must reset

Comment

Well, if you still have the CD you used to install Kubuntu (assuming you used one), put that in and start it up.
            Once you're in, go to media:/ and mount your hard drive. In your hard drive, go to /etc/X11 and restore the backup of your xorg.conf.
            For external use only.

Comment

Working...
            X