This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hotkeys on Acer Aspire 5610

I have a laptop Acer Aspire 5610, but I can't use hotkeys (to open the web browser, mail, increase/decrease volume...), they don't work. I tried also programs like Xbindkeys or KeyTouch, but I didn't resolve.
    How can I do?

Re: hotkeys on Acer Aspire 5610

I got those keys working by going to Keyboard & Mouse (System Settings) and assigning them to what I wanted it to do. The mail key is set to open the kmail application. The planet key (what it looks like to me) is set to open FireFox. Just go to Keyboard Shortcuts and then to the Command Shortcuts tab.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
      Just go to Keyboard Shortcuts and then to the Command Shortcuts tab.
      I tried, but they don't work. When I push those keys it doesn't happen anything.

Comment

Once there find the application from the menu tree that you want to assign the key to an highlight it. Then press the button in the lower panel, it will then ask for the key sequence, just press the desired hotkey.

Comment

What computer have you? I tried like you wrote, but my hotkeys don't work.

Comment

ACER Aspire 3618. Are your hotkeys in the top middle? I know some ACERs have it to the top right. Although I wouldn't think they would have those keys coded too differently.

Comment

They are to the top right, and also (on the middle right) there are some multimedia keys (play, pause, stop, volume up/down, ff, fb) but no one of these works.

Comment

You may need to install the "hotkeys" package.
                You also might want to install "xev". It's a little program that gives output on the input it's getting, e.g. keycodes for pressed keys.
                For external use only.

Comment

Yes, yours is evidently more "advanced" then mine, all I have is the MAIL, Internet, Start Application, and Power Management keys. The only one I never got to work was the Power Management key and that was no big loss. Sorry I couldn't help, but maybe that pkg SheeEttin was mentioning will help.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
                    You may need to install the "hotkeys" package.
                    I've seen my keyboard is not among those supported.

Originally posted by SheeEttin
                    You also might want to install "xev". It's a little program that gives output on the input it's getting, e.g. keycodes for pressed keys.
                    How can I get detailed information for using it? (The man page is too "poor")

Comment

Hmm... I don't know how it could support some but not others. Try it anyway.

xev works by just printing what input is sent. Position your cursor over it (you'll get about five lines per pixel change) and hit a key. You'll get a keypress event and a key release event. If you hit F, it'll print the keycode on line 3, and attempt to look up what that key code represents. If you hit one of your hotkeys, it'll give the keycode for that, which you can use in hotkeys.
                      For external use only.

Comment

Thanks for your help, but pressing an hotkey there is no keycode genereted (while with other "normal" keys or moving the cursor some code was generated). Is like the hotkeys doesn't exist.

Comment

Well that's why it's not working. It's not getting the input from them for some reason.
                          I don't have a clue. I'm stumped.
                          For external use only.

Comment

Same here. I can say that the keys I mentioned gave a code. The only one that didn't was a "P" button that Acer used with their Window$ power management tool.

Comment

Working...
                            X