Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Screen resolution changing by itself (Solved by re instal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen resolution changing by itself (Solved by re instal)

Had Feisty on test machine for about two weeks now, and just today the screen resolution has started changing after re boot by itself.

It has been at 1024x768 since the start.

Two reboots ago it started in 800 x 600 with no option to go higher
    and then on last reboot it changed to 640 x 480, with again no option to go higher under System Settings??

Anyone any idea what is going on here?

Re: Screen resolution changing by itself

"sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", making sure you select the resolutions you want.
    Oh, but before you do that, try "cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE && cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep WW" and post the results.
    For external use only.

Comment

neil@kubuntu:~$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE && cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep WW
      (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
      (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
      (EE) AIGLX: DRI module not loaded
      (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/wacom
      (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
      (WW) I810(0): Direct rendering disabled
      neil@kubuntu:~$

Comment

Yep, that's all non-relevant. Just go ahead and do "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg".

By the way, after that, you might want to go through /etc/X11/xorg.conf and remove your wacom devices (assuming you don't have a Wacom tablet). There are three sections under InputDevice, plus three lines down lower under the ServerLayout section.
        Your next problem is enabling direct rendering, come back when you want that.
        For external use only.

Comment

OK, well i fired sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg into a konsole window
          and it btought up a blue /grey config screen
          First screen is to choose x servver driver, but which one to choose. The PC is a compaq with onboard video card, but no idea what driver to choose, so leave on default of vesa
          Next screen shows generic video card.
          The next screen does nothing, you cant get out of it except by session and Quit or close session,

no options for setting screen resolution

Have deleted the wacom section from the xorg.conf

Oh and slighly off topic...is there a quick way (shortcut key) to bring up the konsole window?

Comment

After removing the wacom entries

neil@kubuntu:~$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE && cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep WW
            (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
            (EE) AIGLX: DRI module not loaded
            (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
            (WW) I810(0): Direct rendering disabled
            neil@kubuntu:~$

One other thought, I am running through a Belkin KVM switch, but up until today, that has not caused any problems, mouse and keyboard always work fine after switching

Comment

No, the KVM switch shouldn't do anything bad. It just passes on the signals.

Umm... Try going to System Settings > Monitor & Display > Administrator Mode > Hardware and hitting Configure for your video card. See what it detects.

EDIT: On opening Konsole, I added it to my panel, down next to the K menu. Just right-click on a button, go to Panel Menu > Add Application to Panel > System and click Konsole Terminal Program. Then, right-click the new Konsole button and choose Move Konsole Button to move it around. Click to drop it.
              For external use only.

Comment

Well, it is sorted, but I did cheat..I just did a fresh install from the latest CD distro

Thanks for your time and help. I have learned just a little bit more too.

Thanks

Neil

Comment

Working...
                X