X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removable Media in Kubuntu Feisty

Hello:

I have two removable media drives in my computer: one is a CDROM drive and the other is a DVD recorder. First I found it difficult to mount the DVD drive. I found it strange because it was an automatic task in Edgy. The only way I accomplished it was to mount the drive by hand:

sudo mount /dev/cdrom ...

After that no icon appeared in the Desktop. Having a look at /etc/fstab the drives were identified as /dev/hda and /dev/hdb, contrary to what was informed in dmesg: there they were detected as /dev/scd0 and /dev/scd1. So I modified fstab to reflect it.
    What now: the drives are mounted automagically when I insert the media. At first I could not umount or eject them (I had no permissions). So I added the following line in /etc/sysctl.conf:

dev.cdrom.lock=0

After that I can mount and umount the drives but their icons still persist in the desktop, even after I eject the media. Any ideas as to how to solve the problem ?
    Here is a copy of my /etc/fstab:

/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 iso9660 defaults 0 0
    # /dev/sda2
    UUID=9222a91a-f6af-4671-b29c-24d80a1062a9 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
    # /dev/sda3
    UUID=094101c5-0ef1-4203-a509-48ff9ba34162 /home ext3 nouser,defaults,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
    # /dev/sda1
    UUID=23b81915-a435-49c5-a6ee-94fc92f17f83 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/scd1 /media/cdrom1 auto user,atime,auto,ro,dev,exec,suid 0 0
    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 auto user,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0

Thanks

Re: Removable Media in Kubuntu Feisty

I'd say you need to add yourself to one or more groups, most likely the cdrom group. You can add yourself by going to System Settings > User Management > Administrator Mode, then selecting your user, clicking "Modify", and adding "cdrom" to the list of groups.
    For external use only.

Comment

Hello:

'd say you need to add yourself to one or more groups, most likely the cdrom group.
      Here are the groups I belong to:

adm, admin, audio, cdrom, dialout, dip, floppy, lpadmin, netdev, plugdev, powerdev, scanner, video, taken from User Management.

Have you had this trouble in mounting removable media ? I found it strange because in Edgy everithing was made automatically ever since the first bootup.

Comment

Maybe you should've stuck with Edgy then. :P

Anyway, no, I've never had this problem. Next thing I can think of to do is make sure /dev/scd* is/are owned by root, with the group cdrom.
        After that, if nothing, I'm pretty much stumped, unless you can dredge up some pertinent logs or post some illuminating error messages (e.g. from eject).
        For external use only.

Comment

Thanks for the reply:

The block devices scd0 and scd1 have cdrom as their group. Before going to the boot messages, one doubt:

When I go to System Configuration > System Administration > Disks and Filesystems and click on both removable media drives I find they are disabled, although they are setup to be enabled at intialization. Why do you think it is happening ? Could you please post your fstab ?

Comment

Hm. What happens when you try and enable them?

Here's my fstab:
            Code:
            # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
            #
            # <file system> <mount point>  <type>     <options>            <dump> <pass>
            proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
            # /dev/sda1 -- converted during upgrade to edgy
            /dev/sda1 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
            # /dev/sda5 -- converted during upgrade to edgy
            /dev/sda5 none swap sw 0 0
            /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom0 auto user,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
            /dev/cdrom is a symlink to /dev/scd0. I've also had trouble with UUIDs, so I might have removed them manually.
            For external use only.

Comment

Funny things happen when I try to mount, for instance, the cdrom drive. When I try to enable it without a media inserted, it complains about it. If I insert a CD in it, this time it mounted automatically, and asked if I wanted to open it in a new window. It placed an icon in the desktop (other times it didn't mount the drive). When I tried to enable it, there was a message saying that the drive was already mounted. When I ejected the CD, the icon in the desktop was still with a green mark as if the drive was still mounted. After reinserting the media in the drive and right clicking the desktop icon and choosing eject, the icon turned into an umounted drive shape, but remained in the desktop. The media was ejected.
              Finally, when I reinserted the CD and tried to enable the drive, the system mounted it but asked me root privileges to umount it.

Funni thinks happening

Comment

The CDROM drive seems to be fixed: I just commented out the line in /etc/sysctl.conf I've added before. CDs are mounted, desktop icons appear and I umount then by right clicking the same icon (option eject). At last the icon desapeas.
                There still remains a problem with the DVD drive: DVDs inserted are not :Precognized - the drive is not mounted for the DVDs to be seen or played anywhere.

That is the remaining trouble :P

Comment

I am adding this comment to this post to save new post since it is about the same type issue.

I have a usb encloser with a 60 gig hard drive that has my backup files on it. The file system was ntfs from an old windows box. I used sabayon on the computer for a short time and the usb drive worked fine.
                  I did not like the way sabayon installed files so I changed to Kubuntu feisty fawn and have just about everything set like I want but can not get the files off the backup drive.

I have tried mounting the drive using the two links below.

http://docs.cs.byu.edu/docs/mounting/2.php#1

http://www.smorgasbord.net/book/export/html/195

Did not help. When the usb it turned on the window will open with KDE daemon and ask what to do. I use the command to open in new window. The new window will open without any files listed.

I installed all the ntfs files listed on adept manager but the one for gnome. I also had an error on one mount about gksu not installed so I have installed it now. I also have installed ntfs-3g installed.

I have reviewed most sites on the web to find the fix for this. I am wondering is something wrong with feisty.

The usb encloser is usb 2.0 only but do not know how to check if feisty is using 2.0 drivers.

I have changed the jumpers on the drive.

Any suggestions on how to get the files off the hard drive without finding a windows box?

here is the fdisk list

scott@scott-desktop:~$ fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sdb: 61.4 GB, 61492838400 bytes
                  255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7476 cylinders
                  Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
                  /dev/sdb1 * 1 7475 60042906 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdc: 2030 MB, 2030043136 bytes
                  243 heads, 32 sectors/track, 509 cylinders
                  Units = cylinders of 7776 * 512 = 3981312 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
                  /dev/sdc1 * 1 510 1982448 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
                  Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
                  phys=(249, 242, 32) logical=(509, 216, 32)
                  scott@scott-desktop:~$

here is the ls /media file

total 8
                  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 2007-04-21 09:29 cdrom -> cdrom0
                  drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-04-21 09:29 cdrom0
                  drwxr-xr-x 7 scott root 4096 1969-12-31 17:00 USB DISK
                  scott@scott-desktop:~$

here is the more etc/mtab list

total 8
                  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 2007-04-21 09:29 cdrom -> cdrom0
                  drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-04-21 09:29 cdrom0
                  drwxr-xr-x 7 scott root 4096 1969-12-31 17:00 USB DISK
                  scott@scott-desktop:~$ sudo more /etc/mtab
                  /dev/sda1 / ext3 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0
                  proc /proc proc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
                  /sys /sys sysfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
                  varrun /var/run tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755 0 0
                  varlock /var/lock tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777 0 0
                  procbususb /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
                  udev /dev tmpfs rw,mode=0755 0 0
                  devshm /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
                  devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
                  lrm /lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/volatile tmpfs rw 0 0
                  /dev/sdc1 /media/USB\040DISK vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime,uid=10
                  00,utf8,shortname=lower 0 0

Comment

Working...
                  X