X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radeon X700 and Beryl

Hello all,

After some difficulties I got Feisty to boot off my external USB hard drive. I'm still quite a noob when it comes to Linux so I apologize that I'm asking an age old question, I just haven't been able to get it quite yet.

I have onboard video on my motherboard and a Radeon X700 Pro PCI-E card. I can boot from either. I want to use Beryl and from what I've read to get the full experience I need to use the radeon drivers and not the proprietary fglrx drivers. At least that what this source tells me: http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_fei...ryl_ati_radeon

Anyways, I've been following that guide but every time I get to either restarting X or the computer (I've tried both with the same result), after some Kubuntu progress bars it gets to just a black screen with just a blinking cursor. I can enter text but it doesn't respond to anything, it's like it's just a text editor.

If I restart and change the BIOS from the X700 card to the onboard card though, it's as if everything is reset. I'm able to use the onboard card and then if I go to the BIOS and again switch back to the X700 card that works fine too.

So, that gives me two questions:
    1- Do I need to use the radeon drivers to use Beryl to its fullest extent or can I stick with the fglrx which seem to have a better chance of working?
    2- Whichever way I should go (radeon or fglrx), how should I go about doing it?

The other thing that's bothering me is that then I go to "System Settings"-->"Monitor"-->"Hardware" it detects my card and wants me to use the fglrx drivers (when I just let it autoselect), but doing that doesn't change anything. I can't go beyond the lowest resolution. Why is that?

I know that's long. Thanks for all the help.

----
    PC Architecture:
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor
    1 GB RAM
    RADEON X700 Pro
    MSI Motherboard with onboard graphics card

Re: Radeon X700 and Beryl

Anybody having similar problems?

Comment

Working...
    X