This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB HDD doesn't get recognized, unless there's also a USB Key

I've just upgraded to Feisty from 6.10, and it seems that my external USB HDD won't get recognized anymore. If I watch /var/log/messages with a tail -f command, I see that the kernel recognizes a new USB device, but nothing happens. I don't get the USB Mass Storage message, or the SCSI Emulation message that normally comes with a USB Storage device.

Strangely enough, when I plug in my 1GB USB Key, it works perfectly. The kernel recognizes it, creates the /dev device, and Kubuntu automounts it and brings up a konqueror window.

What's even MORE strange is that if I power-cycle my USB HDD WHILE the USB key is mounted, it works fine. The kernel creates the /dev device and Kubuntu mounts it. If I then unmount and unplug the USB Key, the USB HDD just doesn't work anymore (it becomes read-only as far as the kernel is concerned). If I unmount it, and then try to mount it again, I get a /dev/sdc1 doesn't exist message.

My first thought was that the modules weren't being loaded with the USBHDD, but a quick check with lsmod confirms that everything is there. At least nothing changes when I plug in the USB key. Is there a difference between a USB Key (1GB) and a USB HDD (160GB), as far as drivers are concerned?

For what it's worth, the USB HDD box is just an empty box that you stick your own IDE drive in, so any internal HD becomes a USB HDD. I don't think that makes a difference, but I thought it worth mentioning. At any rate, this setup worked before with 6.10 so....

Any ideas? Thanks!

Re: USB HDD doesn't get recognized, unless there's also a USB Key

No ideas? Anyone?

Comment

I am having the same problem. I have usb key 2 gig and it works fine. I have 60 gig drive in usb box with ntfs but can not get files to show up. The box is usb 2.0 only so do not know if that might be a problem.

Comment

No. USB 2.0 is not a problem.

But NTFS filesystem could certainly be.

Javier.

Comment

I am having the same problem. I have usb key 2 gig and it works fine. I have 60 gig drive in usb box with ntfs but can not get files to show up. The box is usb 2.0 only so do not know if that might be a problem.

If you watch /var/log/messages when you turn on the HD, do you see the kernel create the proper device?

If you get the proper device created, then we don't seem to have the same problem. For myself, the kernel sees that a USB device has been plugged in, but does nothing about it.

I'll ask the question again: Are there any differences, as far as kernel moduels are concerned, between a large external USB drive, and a USB key? What could cause a USB key to be recognized, but not an external USB drive?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bkreulen
            I'll ask the question again: Are there any differences, as far as kernel moduels are concerned, between a large external USB drive, and a USB key?
            No.

What could cause a USB key to be recognized, but not an external USB drive?
            I have no idea at all. Maybe udev rules?.

Javier.

Comment

Working...
            X