This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HFS+ drive not mount

I have a USB hard drive with two HFS+ partitions on it, as well as an HFS+ formatted iPod. Neither of them appear to be detected by Kubuntu Feisty. They both were automatically mounted under Ubuntu dapper. Any idea what gives?

Re: HFS+ drive not mount

Hey there, I have the same problem (HFS+ formatted iPod). I just upgraded to Feisty from Edgy today using the update tool. When I plug the ipod in, a window pops up asking what to do...open a window, import pictures, or do nothing. When I click on open window is disappears and does nothing. Regardless, it doesnt seem to mount. Gparted does detect it, but the disk and filesystem module in the system settings pane does not. In fact, when the ipod is plugged in the disk and filesystems pane does not work. The message says and eeror occurred during your last KDE upgrade leaving an orphaned control module, or you have old third part modules lying around. When I remove the ipod it works.

Agggg, I just tried my backup drive, which has 3 HFS+ partitions on it and the exact same thing happens as with the ipod. Uh oh.

After a little tinkering, I was able to use the disk and filesystems module to enable the HFS+ partitioned harddrive (disk and filesystems still does not work when the ipod is attached). I modified each drive I wanted that I could see in disk and filesystems by adding a mountpoint in my /media/<ny name of the drive> and then enabled it. The "auto" mountpoint did not seem to work.

Other than that, I have no clue, or enough experience to have a clue. Yes, can some kindly soul help up? :-)

Thanks to all and thank you itakeumbrage for starting this post.

-Fractal

Comment

Same usb problem??

The USB devices on my "Q-Force laptop" are NOT found at start-up if the computer starts-up with the usb cables plugged IN.
      (This problem wasn't there in 6.10!)

ONLY when the usb cables are "plugged IN" AFTER start-up, then all the usb devices are found & work well.

Comment

Originally posted by ammans
        Same usb problem??

The USB devices on my "Q-Force laptop" are NOT found at start-up if the computer starts-up with the usb cables plugged IN.
        (This problem wasn't there in 6.10!)

ONLY when the usb cables are "plugged IN" AFTER start-up, then all the usb devices are found & work well.
        No, that is not the same problem at all. I am describing a failure of automounting HFS+ usb volumes. It doesn't matter when I plug them in - they don't mount.

Comment

Don't mind him, he posted the exact same thing in another thread, along with making his own.

Anyway, try creating a mount point and mounting it manually, first with filesystem autodetection, then specifying the filesystem ("mount -t hfs...").
          Looking at the man page for mount, there's no HFS+ filesystem mentioned, only HFS. Maybe mount doesn't support HFS+.
          For external use only.

Comment

Hey all. An update, my ipod works and mounts now, but only after I reformatted it on a windows computer (I assume it is now a FATish type). Nope, having it as an NFS+ type didnt seem to work.

My external harddrive (firewire HFS+ partitions) still are acting weird. They still dont mount automatically and interestingly, it doesnt spin down...it used to. I havent done anything directly with mount...only by using the disk and filesystem module in the system settings have I been able to mount anything...although not very well. I cant get them all to mount and they dont stay after rebooting. Also, I am building a small collection of residual mounted drives that dont exist. Hmm, I wonder if this has anything to do with my fstab or some other config file that should have been replaced with the upgrade. I made a few modifications with mine do I could mount a NTFS hardrive with windows. Dunno, I have some more learnings to do.

Does anyone know how I can remake my fstab file? i.e. backup my current one, delete it, and remake one.

I have a /media/<mount points> directory with a collection of mount points, including the ones I cant properly mount. Should I delete this and start over? I originally made it for mounting my NTFS hardrive.

Is there some configuration file for this autodetection and automounting stuff? Can it be remade?

Thanks to anyone. Sorry for not really knowing what I am talking about, but its a start. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by fractalbrain
              Does anyone know how I can remake my fstab file?
              For starters, you may post your current version of /etc/fstab as well as your system's feedback to all of the following K/console commands (to be issued one at a time):

# more /etc/mtab
              # fdisk -l ("minus ell")
              # ls -l /media ("ditto")

Comment

Hey thanks for the suggestion! I hope I am posting correctly what you suggested (let me know if I am not). Thank you for clarifying the letter "l". Interestingly, I am able to use "modify" in disk and filesystems in system settings for only 1 partition at a time on my HFS+ partitioned drive. To "modify" another I must restart system settings. Also, when I get one partition mounted, my files for the partition end up being located in:
                /media/ExternalLibrary/.Trash-1000/files/<mount point>/"all my files which I am not listing here". I am wondering if I have created this problem by trying to play around and fix the other...one thing at a time though.

This is what I have physically attached to the computer right now:
                *1 External firewire harddrive on which I have 3 major HFS+ partitions (Library, Bootable Pristine, and OS Backup)
                *1 ipod nano which has now been formatted using a windows computer.
                *1 internal IDE NTFS hardrive (has windows on it) with 1 major partition
                *1 internal SATA linux harddrive (boot, swap, root, and home, and a 1kb unnamed partition)
                *2 internal IDE CD drives.

Below is the contents of my fstab file:
                Code:
                # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
                #
                # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options>   <dump> <pass>
                proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
                # /dev/sda5
                UUID=3c6b3183-c020-4392-a9a3-de31ce2d35f9 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
                # /dev/sda1
                UUID=8f1eaad3-4c81-400b-9370-e43a52f21dbd /boot ext3 nouser,defaults,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
                # /dev/sda6
                UUID=4ba891c4-717f-470b-88ea-6237bd334c52 /home ext3 nouser,defaults,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
                # /dev/hda1
                UUID=0C747B76747B60FE /media/hda1 ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,nouser 0 1
                # /dev/sda2
                UUID=11026c3f-3938-496d-bfa2-22d0672b7fe8 none swap sw 0 0
                /dev/hdb /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
                /dev/hdc /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
                /dev/ /media/floppy0 auto user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
                /dev/sdb10 /media/OS\040Backup auto nouser,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
                /dev/sdb9 /media/ExternalLibrary auto nouser,noauto,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
                /dev/sdb9 /media/Library auto nouser,noauto,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
                Below is the results from more/etc/mtab

Code:
                erikjarr@family-e-s231h171:~$ more /etc/mtab
                /dev/sda5 / ext3 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0
                proc /proc proc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
                /sys /sys sysfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
                varrun /var/run tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755 0 0
                varlock /var/lock tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777 0 0
                procbususb /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
                udev /dev tmpfs rw,mode=0755 0 0
                devshm /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
                devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
                lrm /lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/volatile tmpfs rw 0 0
                /dev/sda1 /boot ext3 rw 0 0
                /dev/sda6 /home ext3 rw 0 0
                /dev/hda1 /media/hda1 ntfs rw,nls=utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46 0 0
                binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0
                /dev/sdb9 /media/ExternalLibrary hfsplus rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
                Below is my output from ls -l /media

Code:
                erikjarr@family-e-s231h171:~$ ls -l /media
                total 44
                drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 2007-04-21 14:52 BootablePristine
                drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 2007-03-08 10:44 Bootable Pristine
                drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 2007-03-20 19:10 BTHUMB
                lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   6 2007-01-31 05:23 cdrom -> cdrom0
                drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 2007-01-31 05:23 cdrom0
                drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 2007-01-31 05:23 cdrom1
                drwxrwxrwx 1 501 dialout  4 2007-04-21 00:04 ExternalLibrary
                lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   7 2007-01-31 05:23 floppy -> floppy0
                drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 2007-01-31 05:23 floppy0
                dr-xr-x--- 1 root plugdev 8192 2007-04-21 11:49 hda1
                drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 2007-03-08 10:44 Library
                drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 2007-03-23 23:42 nuvi
                drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 2007-03-08 10:44 OS Backup

Comment

# /etc/fstab
                  /dev/sdb9 /media/ExternalLibrary auto [...]
                  /dev/sdb9 /media/Library auto [...]
                  # /etc/mtab
                  /dev/sdb9 /media/ExternalLibrary hfsplus [...]
                  # /media/*
                  drwxrwxrwx 1 501 dialout 4 2007-04-21 00:04 ExternalLibrary
                  drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-03-08 10:44 Library
                  For (hopefully) obvious reasons, mentioning the same device node twice in the file system table is not really a good idea - you may settle for one and remove the other ... with the mount point "External Library" being configured in a, er, strange manner, I'd remove this and settle for "Library" as (only) mount point to be.

In addition, it might prove helpful to replace "auto" by "hfsplus" (read: name the file system explicitly) as well as to allow "public access" to (the) Library (read: sudo chmod 777 Library).

With this done and /dev/sdb9 remounted properly, this partition's behaviour will (hopefully) change to the better.

Comment

Hey there,

Thanks UnicornRider!

Wellp, I removed the duplicate entries in my fstab and still had problems. I then removed all entries and made one entry from just the partition "Library." It now looks like the below:
                    Code:
                    /dev/sdb9 /media/Library auto nouser,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
                    I tried using "nfsplus" instead of "auto "and got similar results. I have to admit I am confused what the owner and group should be for sdb9.

I have to mount it by going to the "disk and filesystems" in system settings and clicking "enable" for the correct partition. I still doesnt mount on its own, even though a KDE window pops up asking if I want to open a new window when I turn on my HD.

When I dothat it appears on the desktop and I can access it....but my files seemed to be nested in a .trash folder and another "mount point" on the disk...confusing. I cant seem to modify my files or move them back where they should be. At least I can see them though.

When I right click and press "safely remove" I get the following KDE message that pops up:
                    Code:
                    Unfortunately, the device system:/media/sdb9 (/dev/sdb9) named 'Library' and currently mounted at /media/Library could not be unmounted. Unmounting failed due to the following error:
                    Device to unmount is not in /media/.hal-mtab so it is not mounted by HAL
                    As far as I can tell, the file .hal-mtab has nothing in it. It exists, but is empty.

Now I mentioned I cant modify any of the files. This is what happened when I tried to change the permissions on /media/Library
                    Code:
                    erikjarr@family-e-s231h171:/media$ ls
                    BTHUMB cdrom cdrom0 cdrom1 floppy floppy0 hda1 Library nuvi OS Backup
                    erikjarr@family-e-s231h171:/media$ sudo chmod 777 Library
                    chmod: changing permissions of `Library': Read-only file system
                    erikjarr@family-e-s231h171:/media$
                    Herumf! Did I do that right? I suppose I could connect the HD to my old mac powerbook and see if I can fix it there. Otherwise I guess I can reformat my harddrive to something else. But, thats not fixing the prob. Hmmmmmm. Anythoughts anyone?

Comment

I tried using "nfsplus" instead of "auto "and got similar results.
                      Not surprising - it's just a habit of mine to formulate (read: configure) as explicit as possible :P

I have to admit I am confused what the owner and group should be for sdb9.
                      I'd settle for root (and "public access") or your main user (in case of private data).

I still doesnt mount on its own [...]
                      Not surprising (again ...), for the long list of (at least partially redundant) options contains "noauto" - which means "automatic mounting is not allowed" ...

By the way: analogical, the same holds true for "nouser", meaning that "users are not allowed to mount" ...

Or, in plain text: please learn about the mount options instead of using them "blindly" (further reading) :P

Device to unmount is not in /media/.hal-mtab so it is not mounted by HAL
                      WTH Did you unmount and reboot (to be on the save side, at least)?

chmod: changing permissions of `Library': Read-only file system
                      Maybe you should have unmounted the file system prior to manipulating "it's" mount point ... (sorry for not pointing that out).

But, thats not fixing the prob.
                      Yep - for the problem is that you don't really know what your machine is doing (no offence intended, just my impression).

Comment

Ah ha, no offense taken, but you are very right. You gave me some good starting points and there is a bit of floundering here not knowing what Im doing. Hey, thanks very much for you time and experience! -Fractal

Comment

Working...
                        X