This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17" Intel iMac display problem

First off, I'm simply delighted by Feisty -- so many Linuces have failed/wrecked this computer that I still can't quite believe I've got a working dual-boot system on my Intel Mac.

I am encountering some problems, of course. Specifically, the maximum resolution I'm being permitted is 1024x768. On OS X, I get 1440x900 resolution, so I know that my computer is capable of far better than what Feisty's giving me, but....

When I, from the system settings GUI, attempt to tell it what monitor I have, the GUI promptly crashes on test, and if I apply the settings the X server stops working. I'm leery of playing with it too much, primarily because I've got homework I should be doing and reinstalling every five minutes doesn't work with that. So I thought "I'll just go and ask the nice people on the internet if any of them know what to do!" So, nice people, do any of you have suggestions for ways to minimize number of reinstalls necessary to achieve higher resolution?

Technical specs: 17" iMac, Intel dual core processor, running Kubuntu 7.04, apparently have an ATI Radeon Mobility x1600 card.

Re: 17" Intel iMac display problem

First, do you have the fglrx driver? I've found that to be much more reliable (while more difficult to get working) than the open source one.
    For the driver and installation process, go here.

After that, you need to run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg". Make sure you select the fglrx driver and the proper resolutions. Restart X, configure it in System Settings > Display, and you should be fine.

Post back when you hit your next set of problems, or if you've already done this.
    For external use only.

Comment

It worked perfectly. Thank you so much!

Comment

Hmm, that seems to be just about everyone's problem...
        Maybe someone should make a sticky.
        For external use only.

Comment

Working...
        X