This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unmounting usb drive

after copying files on a usb stick and try to unmount the drive (from the icon placed on kde desktop) with right click & safety remove, I receive this error:
    Code:
    Unfortunately, the device system:/media/sda1 (/dev/sda1) named '1.0G Removable Media' and currently mounted at /media/disk could not be unmounted. Unmounting failed due to the following error:
    Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
    Moreover, programs still using the device have been detected. They are listed below. You have to close them or change their working directory before attempting to unmount the device again.
               USER    PID ACCESS COMMAND
    /media/disk:     root     1 ....m init
               root    2620 ....m udevd
               dhcp    3960 ....m dhclient3
               root    4259 ....m pppd
               root    4408 ....m getty
               root    4409 ....m getty
               root    4411 ....m getty
               root    4412 ....m getty
               root    4413 ....m getty
               root    4414 ....m getty
    I guess this issue is because the file transfer is delayed. Can be fixed the file transfer dialog to be displayed correctly? Or from the active processes that are using the drive. I just wonder why dhcp is using my usb stick? why pppd?

Edit:

Anyway, the command
    Code:
    sudo umount /dev/sda1
    doesn't work. it's response is something like this:
    Code:
    /dev/sda1 is not mounted

Re: unmounting usb drive

/dev/sda1 is your root drive. Don't unmount it. Believe me, it's not a good idea. (I've been there.)

You probably want /dev/sdb1. Also make use of media:/ in Konqueror. It's very helpful.
    For external use only.

Comment

If the usb drive automounts to /dev/sda1... how come should I unmount /dev/sdb1 ?

Comment

It probably isn't, but I don't know about your specific setup. Next time you put it in and it's mounted, execute "mount" and look at the last line printed. This'll be your USB drive, and it'll tell you its device node and mount point. This is the device you want to u(n)mount.
        For external use only.

Comment

Code:
          $ mount
          /dev/hdb1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
          proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
          /sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
          varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755)
          varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
          procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
          udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
          devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
          devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
          lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.20-14-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw)
          /dev/hda5 on /media/hda5 type ext3 (rw)
          /dev/hdb5 on /media/hdb5 type ext3 (rw)
          /dev/hda1 on /media/win type ntfs (rw,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46)
          /dev/sda1 on /media/disk type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime,uid=1000,utf8                               ,shortname=lower)
          If I don't copy anything on the usb drive, safety remove will work just great.

Comment

Hmm... I don't know why things are using it like that. See if you can get it to use /dev/sdb1 instead. (I don't know why they are, nor how to fix it.)
            For external use only.

Comment

I could be wrong so please don't take it as true, but after I upgraded from Edgy to Feisty, some of my modifications I did to the fstab file were being mis-interpreted by the system. It was causing my SWAP partition to mount in odd places. I found that I had to completely remove those entries and delete a few other "system" settings to get it to work properly. After several reboots, I then added back my entries using the system IDed partitions (i.e. /dev/sdaX). That could be the case here and it mounted that USB drive crossed with your primary. Again, I might be wrong about that. The safest thing to do is to shut down and remove the USB drive, then turn the system back on. Theoretically it should keep the USB drive safe from corruption. Anybody please correct me if that isn't the case here.

Comment

I had the same issues with Edgy...

This is my /etc/fstab now:
                Code:
                # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
                #
                # <file system> <mount point>  <type> <options>    <dump> <pass>
                proc      /proc      proc  defaults    0    0
                # /dev/hdb1
                UUID=189e4fe9-7ab1-4355-a723-6f71e8449295 /        ext3  defaults,errors=remount-ro 0    1
                # /dev/hda5
                UUID=0773cb01-dc50-4cea-b4b1-32741f219c80 /media/hda5   ext3  defaults    0    2
                # /dev/hdb5
                UUID=bf2f23fd-44c3-4286-bb98-55984fe44f33 /media/hdb5   ext3  defaults    0    2
                # /dev/hda1
                UUID=C4E00CE5E00CE012 /media/win   ntfs  defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0    1
                # /dev/hdb2
                UUID=75785097-d6f0-44e3-be7f-b70fad6e61a8 none      swap  sw       0    0
                /dev/hdc    /media/cdrom0  udf,iso9660 user,noauto   0    0
                /dev/cdrom    /media/cdrom1  udf,iso9660 user,noauto   0    0
                /dev/      /media/floppy0 auto  rw,user,noauto 0    0
                And I have another file /etc/fstab.edgy:
                Code:
                #
                proc      /proc      proc  defaults    0    0
                # /dev/hdb1
                UUID=189e4fe9-7ab1-4355-a723-6f71e8449295 /        ext3  defaults,errors=remount-ro 0    1
                # /dev/hda5
                UUID=0773cb01-dc50-4cea-b4b1-32741f219c80 /media/hda5   ext3  defaults    0    2
                # /dev/hdb5
                UUID=bf2f23fd-44c3-4286-bb98-55984fe44f33 /media/hdb5   ext3  defaults    0    2
                # /dev/hda1
                UUID=C4E00CE5E00CE012 /media/win   ntfs  defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0    1
                # /dev/hdb2
                UUID=75785097-d6f0-44e3-be7f-b70fad6e61a8 none      swap  sw       0    0
                /dev/hdc    /media/cdrom0  udf,iso9660 user,noauto   0    0
                /dev/hdd    /media/cdrom1  udf,iso9660 user,noauto   0    0
                /dev/      /media/floppy0 auto  rw,user,noauto 0    0
                I guess fstab.edgy is the old fstab, before upgrading...
                they look alike : )

Comment

I don't have this problem but the 'safety remove' is missing some times, I almost clicked on the 'move to trash' !!!
                  Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Comment

Here is what my fstab looks like now. I left the old portions in just commented them out. Your's looks diferent from mine so I can't say for sure. As you can see, I commented out the CDROM portion as well because the system actually mounted my SWAP there for some reason. Now the CDROM still auto-mounts/unmounts as normal, so I assumed that wasn't necessary in fstab for it to work, although it was necessary under Edgy. I even had to comment out the "proc" for the same reason. The system still performs fine without it, so I no real sure what it is for. Your two versions do look alike so I find that odd based on what I've read from others about the "new" naming method. If you go to System Settings --> Advanced TAB --> Disk & Filesystems, how does it list your system under Device?

Code:
                    #
                    #proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
                    # /dev/hda3
                    UUID=92e11676-ef1c-413b-83f7-1c8b48e62218 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
                    # /dev/hda5
                    #/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
                    #/dev/hda2 /media/winNTFS ntfs ro,nls=utf8,umask=0222,uid=0,gid=0,auto,rw,nouser 0 0
                    /dev/sda5 none swap sw 0 0
                    /dev/sda2 /media/winNTFS ntfs ro,nls=utf8,umask=0222,uid=0,gid=0,auto,rw,nouser 0 0

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines, but that something got messed up in the fstab. This doesn't seem to be the case, though...

Anyway, like he said, go into System Settings > Advanced > Disk & Filesystems and poke around in there.
                      For external use only.

Comment

see here:
                        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...86.0;topicseen
                        nothing is 'messed up' in the fstab, the system that handles drives has changed to help accommodate new hardware (sata for example)

Comment

Working...
                        X