Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone actually use ntfs-3g to read-write to USB drive?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone actually use ntfs-3g to read-write to USB drive?

Hi guys.

New install last night for Feisty 7.04 Beta. I have an external USB 200G drive which I've been using for backups in my WinXP universe. It's NTFS formatted. 7.04 will see it in the /media area of konqueror but can't open it. Nor does it show up in the regular directory - devices list on the left panel of konqueror.

Did some preliminary reading on the ntfs-3g package and it sounds promising. But is anyone actually using it (successfully) to read and write to NTFS partitions and NTFS formatted USB drives??

Thanks guys
    Tim
    Lead by example, but be an example worth following.

Re: Anyone actually use ntfs-3g to read-write to USB drive?

I have used NTFS-3g on Fedora Core 6, without any problems. That was until the middle of last week when I removed Windows from my laptop entirely to install Kubuntu. I haven't used it to write to any USB devices, as I don't have any that is NTFS formatted, but it worked fine on internal harddrives at least.

- Delphi

Comment

Should work just fine. USB drives are treated more or less like hard drives at the filesystem level.
      For external use only.

Comment

I have a 4GB USB flash drive formatted as NTFS and I'm using NTFS-3g with it.
        I'm develeoping ms sql server and asp applications so I'm using this drive for carrying asp and database file to and from my customers systems and they are mostly windows server systems so I need an NTFS drive. ntfs-3g seems stable enough but be sure to use safe remove when you take out the usb drive. if something happens to ntfs file system, linux do not mount it. When I use my drive on a windows system, I'm running chkdsk /f on my flash drive to fix any errors to filesystem.
        if you do not carry data between windows and linux systems, reformat your usb drive as ext3 or any native linux format. I have another 160GB SATA drive inside an USB to SATA box and at first I was using it with ntfs-3g and it was formatted as NTFS. When I copy large files (4GB or more) from my computers hard disk to that drive, I was seing 25MB/sec speed but after I reformat it as ext3, now I see around 30MB/sec and the cpu usage is much lower.
        if you have only one usb drive and you do not plan to exchange data with windows machines, use ext3, if you need to exchange data with windows machines, just partition it, one 1 GB partition fat32 and the rest ext3 and use the windows ext2 file system driver from http://www.fs-driver.org/. it's a small windows file, put it on the fat32 partition on your usb disk and when you have to transfer large files from a windows machine, just install it from you usb drive.

I hope this helps...

Comment

Working...
        X