Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Resolved) NO SOUND! Please Read!!! Thanks!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Resolved) NO SOUND! Please Read!!! Thanks!

OK. No one has offered any hints on a previous post and searching on this topic shows that it is a topic no one ever really does respond to.

After my upgrade to Feisty, I had two problems - Slow Boot and No Sound. After an update that included kernel 2.6.20-14-generic, the Slow Boot appears fixed

I still have no sound. All modules appear to be loaded. Is there a command line that can "rebuild" the sound system?

SoundBlaster Live.

Anybody? Thanks in advance.

Re: NO SOUND! Please Read!!! Thanks!

Is that card the ca0106?

Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

Re: NO SOUND! Please Read!!! Thanks!

No, SoundBlaster Live (emu10k1x) and I actually got it working. Took all day > of searching but found this:

http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Compre...olutions_Guide

link is now:
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

Actually got to this point : Getting the ALSA drivers from a *fresh* kernel
      steps 1 and 2
      Then I went back to alsamixer and re-tried all switches.
      The switch that didn't fix the problem before now does. That switch being : Analog/Digital Output Jack
      Turned it off and BINGO!! That didn't work previous, so I think the uninstall/re-install is what helped.
      Found this as well, but I'll try it latter

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=30963

Hope this info helps anybody else.

I'm now a happy Feisty user. One problem remains, but I'll live with it for now. http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3080988.0

Comment

(Resolved) Re: NO SOUND! Please Read!!! Thanks!

Now I need to figure out how to keep that setting permanently off. Rebooted and it was back on!

I guess if I was paying any attention in KMIX I'd of seen the same button there. I wanted to make it more difficult then it really was

Oh well. Thanks to every one who tolerated my ramblings

Got up the nerve to try Beryl. Not one for fancy stuff, but that is way cool man!

Comment

Re: (Resolved) NO SOUND! Please Read!!! Thanks!

Thanks for posting this solution. I had exactly the same problem after upgrading from 6.10 to 7.04 and would never have though of hitting that analog/digital switch. You saved me a lot of time.

Comment

Once I found it in the Sound Settings from within System Settings (SEE BELOW POST
            ) is when I felt real foolish. Couldn't find that swtch for the life of me and then BOOM there it was as plain as day. Glad the post helped!

Comment

I'd like to thank you too, I had the same problem and looked a turkey to one on my windows friends when I told him about amarok. The sound was just soo low and would not go up.

Good work

Comment

Talk about a life saver.....I can't tell you how long I searched and how many different things I tried until I found your answer!

I, too, have the same situation, however.....how does one make this selection permanent? I have to open alsamixer every time I boot up and fix that mute?

Comment

I made an error above, it wasn't in the System Settings, Sorry Guys . It was actually in Kmix in the Mixer Mode. Click on the Switches TAB and it will be there. Just make sure the pseudo-LED is not lit.

Comment

Someone else just hit this problem, too. Any plans on filing a bug report?
                    (And why couldn't you have just edited your original post to say where it was?)
                    For external use only.

Comment

Since it was highly "fixable" I wasn't sure that it was truely a bug. I posted my correction and then latter realized my original could cause confusion so I edited it after the fact and actually I did that post before I had to go to work and really did that quickly. You tend to do things oddly when in a hurry .

Comment

It certainly is fixable (or rather, workaroundable), but that doesn't mean it's not a bug.
                        I suggest filing a bug report.
                        For external use only.

Comment

Working...
                        X