Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Linux, trying to get AIGLX working with my Inspiron E1405 Lappy.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Linux, trying to get AIGLX working with my Inspiron E1405 Lappy.

Kubuntu recognized my wireless card right off (thank god), and I only had to muck around a little bit to get my monitor to display in X (I had to "apt-get install 915resolution"). Now, it's my impression that 3D goodness should work outta the box on my laptop. But... it doesn't. Sorta.

I mean, running GLXGears gives me this:
    Code:
    $ glxgears
    4268 frames in 5.0 seconds = 850.884 FPS
    4320 frames in 5.0 seconds = 862.580 FPS
    4300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 858.320 FPS
    4380 frames in 5.0 seconds = 871.590 FPS
    4240 frames in 5.0 seconds = 847.941 FPS
    Which I'm thinking is a good sign, right? But when I run GLXInfo, I get this:
    Code:
    ~$ glxinfo
    name of display: :0.0
    X Error of failed request: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
     Major opcode of failed request: 142 (GLX)
     Minor opcode of failed request: 3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
     Serial number of failed request: 16
     Current serial number in output stream: 17
    Hence my confusion.

Oh, and here's my video card:
    Code:
    ~$ lspci|grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    So, uh, any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? I'm just trying to cash in on some of that sweet, sweet bling Linux is known for.

Thanks in advance!

Oh, and typing "Beryl" into the run menu just turns my screen white. Lockup, I'm thinking.

Re: New to Linux, trying to get AIGLX working with my Inspiron E1405 Lappy.

Hi,

I'm quite surprise you're trying to install aiglx on feisty because afaik it's not needed to run beryl, for example now I'm running it on feisty and the same card as you. In fact, Xorg 7.2 included things which were needed for beryl and compiz, so you should try to start your usual X (without aiglx) and it should be ok.
    Maybe I'm mistaking, so if yes, can someone correct me please ?

Comment

Oh, well, I suppose that's good news. So, uh, what do I do to make Beryl run? Because it doesn't. Alternatively, what steps did you take to make Beryl run?

Comment

Well, on the plus side, I think it's all taken care of! I *THINK* I just had a VERY misconfigured xorg file. I THINK. Regardless, it works!!! GO KUBUNTU!!!

Comment

Sorry I've mistaken on my video card, it's not i945 but i915 anyway if you got it running with Xorg it will run with beryl
          The website I used to configure beryl is this one :
          http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/I...eryl_on_Ubuntu

Comment

If you've got a screwed-up xorg.conf, you ca just (re-)run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg". This'll ask you a bunch of questions and restore your config to a basic state.
            For external use only.

Comment

Working...
            X