This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade to kernel 2.6.20-12-generic changes hda1 to sda1

When I just did the (adept) upgrade from kernel 2.6.20-11-generic to 2.6.20-12-generic the ntfs C:/ drive was changed from the old hda1 to sda1.
    All other partitions (swab, / and /boot) now show up as sda* but only sda1 required manual editing of fstab to get it mounted again.

Re: Upgrade to kernel 2.6.20-12-generic changes hda1 to sda1

Same here. But it seems to cause no problem in system function, with the hard drives. However, I think this is also related to the (new) problem with IDE/ATA CD/DVD drives reported here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3080227.0

I think we're waiting ....

:P

Comment

Yes, that's true. Now all drives (harddrives, cd, dvd) will be operated by libata drivers. But this procedure is still painful > and some time it can cause some problems for unexperienced users. In new names (sda instead of hda) "s" means scsi emulation.

Comment

Hey all,
        I have installed Feisty a few days ago (the final release) and all my 'old fashioned' ATA drives are /dev/sda,sdb,sdc.
        Everything works, but when i copy data between the drives the system slows down so much i cannot work anymore. I suspect it has something to do with the settings i can do in hdparm, only thing is, i only know how to use hdparm with hda etc... sudo hdparm -d1 /dev/sda doesn't work.
        The hdparm output for my first drive is:

/dev/sda:
        IO_support = 0 (default 16-bit)
        readonly = 0 (off)
        readahead = 256 (on)
        geometry = 7299/255/63, sectors = 117266688, start = 0

It is an ATA100 drive, so it should be able to perform better, bu i don't know how to fix it. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by knedlyk
          Yes, that's true. Now all drives (harddrives, cd, dvd) will be operated by libata drivers. But this procedure is still painful > and some time it can cause some problems for unexperienced users. In new names (sda instead of hda) "s" means scsi emulation.
          I'll second that - I was making a raid driver disk for an IBM server, and in my haste I blindly followed their instructions to use dd to make the disk on /dev/sda1. Not the greatest day of my life. One reinstall of Feisty later...

Comment

Working...
          X