This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: [partially solved] Feisty can't find CDROM and DVD writer

I have the same problem, and have submitted Bug Report 96286 accordingly.

Comment

BTW, guys from linux-ide list found the solution. For a present moment it is patch to kernel ata tree, and it looks like in the next kernel it will be fixed. See here: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8244 The patch is still under intensive development. I applied last patch to generic kernel from kernel.org and get full satisfaction - feisty work well, no "qc timeout" on boot, k3b works well... I also submited report to the launchpad: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source....20/+bug/95269.

For those interested patch is here: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachmen...89&action=view

Comment

Originally posted by Robin T Cox
        I have the same problem, and have submitted Bug Report 96286 accordingly.

I didn't find your bug, can you provide the link? Thanks.

Comment

knedlyk, you say "K3b works" -- do you mean that an IDE CD/DVD drive will now burn CD/DVDs, with this patch installed, in Feisty Beta?

Thanks.

Comment

Actually the problem was in my Aopen cd drive, which has some problem in response to some commands from libata kernel drivers (request_sense) and it cause "qt timeout". HP DVD worked good, there were no problems with it. I forgot to say that before experiments my drives were on one cable. I attached them separately to the onboard ide ports (first experiment), then to ports on my Promise adapter (second experiment), then DVD to onboard ide and cd to Promise adapter ports, and it showed that it is my CDROM drive cause the problem I described in the first my post. The second stage was numerous experiments which people from ide-kernel list asked me to do with patches proposed by them. And finally, one of them get from AOpen the same drive as I have and fully reproduced this bug. The last patch proposed by him completely solved this bug. K3b works fine with my hp dvd writer.

Comment

Finally, bug is successfully closed on kernel-ide bugs list, patch was produced and hopefully will be implemented in the next generic kernel version from kernel.org. It seems to me, that it also will be implemented in the next ubuntu kernel, but I'm not sure.

Comment

Working...
              X