Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing linux headers caused TROUBLE!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing linux headers caused TROUBLE!

I am running Kubuntu 6.06 and I was trying to install WMware server. I was trying to install the linux headers for my kernel. After I installed them I could not run Thunderbird or Firefox; and when I rebooted it would not let me login! Here is what I did--

(1) I ran "uname -r" and determined that my kernel is 2.6.15-27.

(2) I ran "sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.15-27-386", which created two new folders in /usr/src, (a) linux-headers-2.6.15-27 and (b) linux-headers 2.6.15-27-386.

(3) Before I ran the above command, my /usr/src had three folders in it: (1) linux-headers-2.6.15-23, (b) linux-headers-2.6.15-23-386, and (3) rpm. Afterwards I had the five folders above.

(4) When I then tried to run Thunderbird and Firefox, both applications began to start (the icon was jumping up and down), but neither ran. And when I logged off, I could not log back on again: when I input my password, the system redisplayed the login screen.

(5) I eventually recovered by (a) rebooting into safe mode as root, (b) executed "rmdir -r" on the two newly-created folders in /usr/src, and (c) rebooted into normal mode.

Can someone tell me what happened? Evidently, installing the linux-header files did more than just create the two folders and populate them.

Now, back to VMware server. When I tried to install the VMware-mui-... package, it said that it couldn't because it required VMware server to be installed, which I thought I had done prior to that. When I look in the start menu, the only app that I can see related to VMware is VMware Server Console, and it doesn't appear to do anything (though I haven't yet tried to run it in Konsole; it may require root privileges). If anyone can help me with this installation, I would appreciate it.

TIA.

Re: Installing linux headers caused TROUBLE!

I could be wrong but shouldn't your kernel match the folders inside /usr/src ? Or at least there should be a folder with whatever kernel version you are currently running. When I had dapper they did match and the also do here in edgy. I know its not a solution but it could point in you in another direction if I am correct.

Also you might want to try this
    Originally posted by Rob_H
    VMWare can be installed pretty easily using alien. Install it like so:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install alien
    Then download the RPM file from VMWare's web site and convert it to a DEB file using:
    Code:
    sudo alien --scripts <vmware_package_file>.rpm
    This should create a file in the same directory with a DEB extension. Then install it like so:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i <vmware_package_file>.deb
    Sorry if these commands are slightly wrong. I'm writing this from memory. Anyway, I've installed VMWare Server on several Kubuntu boxes this way and have not run into any problems. Remember to follow VMWare's post-installation instructions to get it up and going once the package is installed. For VMWare Server, this consists of running:
    Code:
    sudo vmware-config.pl
    Then follow the prompts. You must rerun that script each time after upgrading your kernel.

Comment

Re: Installing linux headers caused TROUBLE!

Thanks for the advice, XstatyK; I finally did get VMware server installed and have built two "virtual machines", installed the OS software, and installed the VMware tools. It's awesome!

I think you are correct, that the version of the kernel should match the linux headers in /usr/src. But mine do not in Dapper. My kernel is 2.6.15-27-386 and the two folders in /usr/src are:
      linux-headers-2.6.15-23, and
      linux-headers-2.6.15-23-386

It doesn't sound right, but Dapper works fine. I'm going to try VMware Server on a spare drive where I have Edgy Eft installed, 6.10. Then I'll see what's in /usr/src.

Thanks for your help. Kubuntu is a learning experience!!

Comment

Working...
      X