This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

broken libk3b2-mp3, uncooperative amarok

At one point when starting the whole Kubuntu thing, I figured out what I needed to do to run mp3s on Amarok. I found the instructions and followed them, everything worked nicely.

At some point Adept complained about libk3b2-mp3 for a while (don't remember the exact message at this point). From what I recall, it wanted to be upgraded, but upgrading it would break the package. At some point I must have done something stupid, because now mp3's don't play in Amarok anymore: Some media could not be loaded (not playable).

Anyways, mp3s still don't play. Today I've tried purging the libk3b2-mp3 through Adept. Later I ran Synaptic Package Manager.
    libk3b2-mp3 latest version is 0.12.17-0ubuntu7, but it won't let me install that one because it depends on libk3b2, which is version 0.12.14-0ubuntu7 (the latest version listed). I installed libk3b2-mp3 version 0.12.14-0ubuntu7, but now there is a red box (break) beside it.

What should I try next?

Thx

Kat
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ / A7N8X-VM / 256MB DDR / ATI Radeon

Re: broken libk3b2-mp3, uncooperative amarok

Have you considered an alternative for the time being while you are figuring out the amarok dependency issue? If not then maybe this will help you out http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html

Comment

This is interesting, Mplayer plays stuff, but Juk, Noatun, and Kaboodle don't.

Kinda hoping to get Amarok going; as I'm looking for something with a media library.. I have a lot of music. I've used VLC on WinXP, will have to check it out for *nix.

My sound is using ALSA, but my programs still have problems releasing the sound drivers to other programs.

So much to sort out and investigate... so little time!

Comment

Just adding a followup; my sound and Amarok seems to be working now:

I removed Amarok with "Add/remove programs". I rebooted, and re-installed Amarok. There was a quick error message that flashed at the bottom left when it opened. From what I did see, I guessed that I should go into "Settings -> Configure Amarok -> Engine". I had to select Xine as the sound engine because there was no engine selected. Now Amarok works.

Incidentally, using youtube in Firefox now works too, even though I had opened a video in Kaffiene and used sound in there before opening Firefox. But that worked before I had even started playing with Add/Remove programs today (but not the days before then!) Dunno what's going on there.

I hadn't reinstalled the Xine engine.

Hope this helps others who encounter the same issue I had.

Comment

Working...
        X