This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

guarddog and SciFinder port 210

Hi I have a problem with Guarddog. I would like to use SciFinder, which is a program that search scientific articles and publications on line, and when I activate the firewall, the program does not work. In the SciFinder site they write

"The SciFinder Scholar client communicates with the servers at CAS on a TCP/IP (Internet) connection that uses the Z39.50 application protocol on communications port 210. 210 is the standard port for the Z39.50 protocol ."

and then concerning the firewall:

"Firewalls and Proxy Servers

If your firewall performs protocol-checking, you may need a Z39.50 proxy or plug; contact your firewall vendor for assistance. A generic proxy may also meet your needs. CAS can provide an example of the configuration for a specific brand of UNIX firewall."

Does anyone know how I let this Z39.50 protocol through the firewall? I guess I must allow port 210, but how?
    Please explain in simple terms,
    best,
    Marco

Re: guarddog and SciFinder port 210

Open guarddog,

Go to the advanced tab, click 'New Protocol', enter a name (anything you like, how about 'SciFinder'), then select port type tcp and ports 210-210

Then go to the protocol tab, select the zone the SciFinder servers are in (probably internet), and under 'User-defined', check SciFinder is ticked in the Local column. Then Apply your changes.

Hopefully that will work.

This works for opening any outbound port.
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Re: guarddog and SciFinder port 210

Thanks very much, it worked!
      Best,
      Marco

Comment

Working...
      X